Beer production info.

June 21st, 2018, 4:30 am #1

A piece on this evening TV news. A shortage of CO2 in the UK, so pubs are concerned, what w/ the World Cup and all. Huh??? I always thought the CO2 in hi Q beer was 100% natural. 100%! Created naturally during fermentation. As w/ good Q champagne. Or is it injected into the kegs, at the pub, just to power the keg's beer to the tap?

And yes, I don't drink much, and have never bought/worked a party keg.

June 21st, 2018, 7:10 am #2

Your confusing fermentation with the CO2 shortage.

The CO2 is used in the pump system  to get the beer from Keg to Tap and then into the glass. Without the CO2 the pumps for the beer the beer and other soft drink dispensers won’t work.

Some traditional beers still use a hand pump and so will not be effected but that’s a very very small minority 

How beer pumps work 
beer tap works by using air pressure to force the beer out of the keg, through the tube and into the glass, and the air pressure can either come from CO2 tanks or a manual pump.

June 21st, 2018, 11:54 am #3

Ah Hah! So drinking beer promotes global warming.  I knew it! So just like eating beef, I'm not gonna stop.

June 22nd, 2018, 8:11 am #4

Naw I think it has to do w/ a shortage of ammonia used in the CO2 process and/or CO2 plants in the EU down for maintenance or repair. Bad timing I guess. Summer and the World Cup.

Also read that Moscow and surrounds are running outta beer! FB fans drinking way more than expected??

What w/ 'NO bs allowed/tolerated, at all' Russian cops/security forces, wonder if they'll be any FB riots?

June 22nd, 2018, 12:42 pm #5

During last year's Danube cruise we stopped in the Karmeliten Brewery in Straubing, Germany.  They were very proud of their process to sequester CO2 from their brewing process, something like 95% reduction.  They had received EU recognition.   

That is pretty significant when you consider the byproducts of fermentation are alcohol and CO2
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

June 22nd, 2018, 1:04 pm #6

And do they pump that CO2 into tanks that then go to their customer pubs to 'power' their brew, keg to taps? Or just sell it in bulk to German/EU industry?

June 22nd, 2018, 3:17 pm #7

Interesting side effect of beer drinking is an added CO2 output, which, as science recently found out, makes you more attractive to midges, mosquitos etc. So if you do not want to get bitten, do not consume beer- apparently works for me, have not had an insect bite for yonks...
Information not shared is information lost.