Bedford QLD finished at last

Bedford QLD finished at last

June 19th, 2012, 11:05 am #1

Many months ago , I started building the then-new Airfix Bedford QLD & posted some pics of the part-built item . Now , after far too long sitting on the shelf of doom , Ive finally got it finished .
Somewhat unimaginatively , Airfix suggest that both the QLD & QLT be finished in the late-war SCC15 Olive Drab & SCC14 Blue Black scheme . I may well do the QLT in this scheme at some time in the future , but for the QLD I fancied something a little different & , after flicking through Mike Starmers various books , eventually decided on the late-1943 Middle East/Sicily/Italy scheme of Light Mud & Blue Black . I sprayed everything with WEM Light Mud & then brush-painted the Blue Black using Revells acrylic Anthracite . To give a little contrast , I painted the tilt in a mix of Lifecolor Dunkelgelb & white to simulate bleached canvas , then used Vallejo Dark Rubber for the camo pattern .
As regards markings , I used serial numbers from the kit decals , but then added unit markings for the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry from an Archer Fine Transfers sheet & a Starmers Armour air recognition roundel on the cab roof . I have no idea whether the RWY ever had such a Bedford but they re-equipped with similarly painted Sherman IIIs in Palestine in the summer of 1943 & I thought it plausible that they could have had such a vehicle on strength for general transport duties .
Once decaling was complete , I fitted the wheels & exhaust , matt varnished & then did a little weathering with AK Interactives dust wash & Mig Pigments sand then , as a final step , fitted the cab glazing . Obviously Id got too many coats of paint on the window surrounds , since none of the glazing would fit , although it fitted perfectly into the as-yet unpainted QLT cab . I didnt want to have to remove any of the paint , so I gently filed down the windows till they fitted .
With the exception of the large numbers of ejection pin marks , I found this a really nice kit to build & it certainly looks the part when finished . You only have to compare it with the old QL tanker in the RAF Refuelling Set to see how far Airfix have come in recent years .

John Green
Cheshire , UK

June 19th, 2012, 3:52 pm #2

I have this kit in the stash as well. You're right - Airfix has come a long way with this model. You've done a bang up job, that's for sure. And nice work with the research on those decals - nice touch!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish

June 19th, 2012, 9:12 pm #3

Many months ago , I started building the then-new Airfix Bedford QLD & posted some pics of the part-built item . Now , after far too long sitting on the shelf of doom , Ive finally got it finished .
Somewhat unimaginatively , Airfix suggest that both the QLD & QLT be finished in the late-war SCC15 Olive Drab & SCC14 Blue Black scheme . I may well do the QLT in this scheme at some time in the future , but for the QLD I fancied something a little different & , after flicking through Mike Starmers various books , eventually decided on the late-1943 Middle East/Sicily/Italy scheme of Light Mud & Blue Black . I sprayed everything with WEM Light Mud & then brush-painted the Blue Black using Revells acrylic Anthracite . To give a little contrast , I painted the tilt in a mix of Lifecolor Dunkelgelb & white to simulate bleached canvas , then used Vallejo Dark Rubber for the camo pattern .
As regards markings , I used serial numbers from the kit decals , but then added unit markings for the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry from an Archer Fine Transfers sheet & a Starmers Armour air recognition roundel on the cab roof . I have no idea whether the RWY ever had such a Bedford but they re-equipped with similarly painted Sherman IIIs in Palestine in the summer of 1943 & I thought it plausible that they could have had such a vehicle on strength for general transport duties .
Once decaling was complete , I fitted the wheels & exhaust , matt varnished & then did a little weathering with AK Interactives dust wash & Mig Pigments sand then , as a final step , fitted the cab glazing . Obviously Id got too many coats of paint on the window surrounds , since none of the glazing would fit , although it fitted perfectly into the as-yet unpainted QLT cab . I didnt want to have to remove any of the paint , so I gently filed down the windows till they fitted .
With the exception of the large numbers of ejection pin marks , I found this a really nice kit to build & it certainly looks the part when finished . You only have to compare it with the old QL tanker in the RAF Refuelling Set to see how far Airfix have come in recent years .

John Green
Cheshire , UK
I have to get this kit too someday - to compare...

Nice work John - love your choice of colours, the blue hue is definitely something else

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Supporter Euro 2012 / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 20th, 2012, 8:38 am #4

I have this kit in the stash as well. You're right - Airfix has come a long way with this model. You've done a bang up job, that's for sure. And nice work with the research on those decals - nice touch!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish

June 20th, 2012, 8:43 am #5

I have to get this kit too someday - to compare...

Nice work John - love your choice of colours, the blue hue is definitely something else

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Supporter Euro 2012 / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
I've got a QL tanker in progress at the moment & it's a decent kit , remarkably so considering how old it is , but it's nowhere near as nice as the new QLD . The tanker needs new wheels & tyres at the very least , since those in the kit are too small .

June 20th, 2012, 4:28 pm #6

John Green
Cheshire , UK
It looks bigger than it is. Your paint scheme is spot on. That would make a great dio addition too!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

June 21st, 2012, 1:11 am #7

John Green
Cheshire , UK
Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

June 22nd, 2012, 9:36 am #8

It looks bigger than it is. Your paint scheme is spot on. That would make a great dio addition too!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
All being well , I'll probably put it in a diorama when I finish my Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry Sherman III .

June 22nd, 2012, 9:36 am #9

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish