Battle of Britain movie question

Battle of Britain movie question

June 12th, 2014, 7:10 pm #1

In the early scenes when the German Inspector General is making his rounds. he stops in to have a meal with a group of pilots. One named Falke is wearing a white jacket. What was the significance of this ? Just a dress uniform?

Watched it last night again. Still a great movie. It must have been fun to be one of the pilots filming it and getting to fly such cool aircraft.
M

June 12th, 2014, 7:24 pm #2

Yes, summer dress uniform.

Not a single Messerschmitt Bf 110 in the film... Still, it WAS made in the 1960s.

June 12th, 2014, 7:30 pm #3

The Army as well as the Luftwaffe had a lightweight summer tunic, made of linen, if I remember correctly. It was an older tradition, going back to the Imperial and Prussian armies. The Prussian winter uniform included dark blue, almost black trousers for the winter, and light, white linen trousers in summer.

June 12th, 2014, 9:07 pm #4

In the early scenes when the German Inspector General is making his rounds. he stops in to have a meal with a group of pilots. One named Falke is wearing a white jacket. What was the significance of this ? Just a dress uniform?

Watched it last night again. Still a great movie. It must have been fun to be one of the pilots filming it and getting to fly such cool aircraft.
M
Saluti

Giampiero

June 12th, 2014, 9:40 pm #5

Yes, summer dress uniform.

Not a single Messerschmitt Bf 110 in the film... Still, it WAS made in the 1960s.
with the Stukas. No Dorniers or Junkers 88s either

June 12th, 2014, 10:12 pm #6

M
Adolph Galland. Galland himself was one of the advisors of the film. Late in the film he is even shown speaking Galland's famous quote. "Give me a Squadron of Spitfires" It was his suggetion that they go to Spain to find the HE 111's and 109's. The Stuka's were supposedly 3/4 scale radio control aircraft. Very effectively done.

June 12th, 2014, 10:30 pm #7

I have a 50 min documentary made during the filming narrated by Michael Caine thats rather good, I looked and its been upped on youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxKL9FGkEo

Enjoy,

June 12th, 2014, 11:34 pm #8

Saluti

Giampiero
was acceptable summer wear for all ranks. There was also a white cover to the visored hat (Schirrmutz) that was very often worn, even with the blue/gray uniform. You'll frequently see the white hat in use with the tropical tan uniform. There was not a tan cover for the visored hat.
Hal

June 13th, 2014, 12:19 am #9

I have a 50 min documentary made during the filming narrated by Michael Caine thats rather good, I looked and its been upped on youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxKL9FGkEo

Enjoy,
My God!! Was it that long ago??

Bill Shuey
who is feeling his age!

June 13th, 2014, 12:42 am #10

M
A month ago I finally finished a boyhood dream of a series of models of the aircraft used to film BoB