Baseball Q. Outfielder high jumps and catches a homer cleanly ....

Baseball Q. Outfielder high jumps and catches a homer cleanly ....

June 28th, 2012, 7:22 am #1

but he ends up going over the fence, holds onto the ball tho. Ruled a home run cuz the ball ended up out of the park even if still in the fielder's glove correct?

What if he ends up straddling the fence, one leg in, the other out of the park?

Just wondering while watching some of the day's great plays on the late news highlight reel.

June 28th, 2012, 11:55 am #2

dvhn

Keep your Sprues Empty

June 28th, 2012, 4:25 pm #3

but he ends up going over the fence, holds onto the ball tho. Ruled a home run cuz the ball ended up out of the park even if still in the fielder's glove correct?

Just wondering while watching some of the day's great plays on the late news highlight reel.
If the ball is caught and the fielders momentum carries him over the fence it's an out.

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!

June 29th, 2012, 12:19 am #4

dvhn

Keep your Sprues Empty
I said home run ball. How does a homer become a foul? nt.

June 29th, 2012, 12:40 am #5

If the ball is caught and the fielders momentum carries him over the fence it's an out.

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!
is low. They showed a good play on the tube last night and the fielder almost went over after making the catch. Baltimore's Camden too. Most outfield fences are pretty high and a player going over not in the cards but at some parks I guess it's poss.

Don't know if I like that. Too many ground rule double rulings, which I don't like, even if they favor my side. Artificial, should have to play the carom/bounce off a higher fence.
Last edited by bookmark460 on June 29th, 2012, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2012, 3:17 am #6

...Jay Buhner of the Mariners went over the right field fence and took away a home run from someone. I don't remember if it was Fenway or not. Last year in one of my games one of my team mates hit a sure home run but the right fielder on the other team made a terrific catch which took him over the 4' high fence. A three run HR taken away and it was the third out. Oh well

June 29th, 2012, 9:47 pm #7

If fielder establishishes himself in the field (Feet on the playing field) then 'MO' carries himself outside, then it's a OUT!!

Can't jump the fence and run up into the stands to make a play!!

Bo

June 29th, 2012, 10:17 pm #8

...Jay Buhner of the Mariners went over the right field fence and took away a home run from someone. I don't remember if it was Fenway or not. Last year in one of my games one of my team mates hit a sure home run but the right fielder on the other team made a terrific catch which took him over the 4' high fence. A three run HR taken away and it was the third out. Oh well

an outfileder caught the ball inside the field of play and 'Mo' took him THROUGHT the outfield fence, it was an OUT!!

Bo

July 3rd, 2012, 6:02 am #9

Nobody out, runner #1 on 1st base and runner # 2 on 3rd base.

Runner #1 has foot on first base and is hit by a line drive. Ball bounces off runner #1 and is caught by second baseman who throws to first base before batter runner gets to first base. After ball is caught by second baseman, runner on third advances to home.

You make the call... How many outs are made and how many runs score? Where do you put the runnners?

(This was on one of my tests in umpires school in Ft. Lauderdale FL in 1979)

I did 25 years of umpiring from minor league to NCAA, softball, Baseball and Men's fastpitch (2 World Series) I even "acted" in a few Rock and Jocks "games"

I was never wrong..... But I wasn't always right.

Have fun.

Mike Witous

S.F.

Visit us at: http://www.meetup.com/TemValModClub/
Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

July 3rd, 2012, 1:58 pm #10

Same as a 'no pitch' to batter. If #1 was off 1st base, then he's out and so is batter.

That'd be my call.

But just yesterday, I saw a catcher, catch a foul ball, feet off the ground and leaning over the rail, was falling into his own dug-out, but his team-mates, in the dug-out, stopped him and pushed him back into the field of play!! The Ump called it an OUT!!! Shoulda be a Dead Ball.

Bo
Last edited by jabow1 on July 3rd, 2012, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.