Bargain price on micron-type airbrush - PS770 on sale at Spraygunner

August 18th, 2018, 10:01 pm #1

I just saw this last week, but Spraygunner in Florida is offering the GSI-Creos Mr. Airbrush Custom PS770 for the low price of USD $180 new.  If you're not familiar with the PS770, this is the top-of-the line airbrush in GSI-Creos' range, featuring a "mac" valve, adjustable needle stop, 0.18mm nozzle and needle, and a "micron" style head assembly.  It's not a Chinese-made micron knock-off, either; it's made in Japan. 

I just bought one a couple of months ago (for a higher price, alas) out of curiosity.  I am a dedicated Iwata user and own a couple of their Microns, but I have to say I am very impressed by the PS770.  The manufacturing and assembly quality is top-notch and the performance is very similar to my Iwata CM-B.  I've been intrigued by the GSI-Creos (nee Gunze) airbrushes for years, but had shied away from buying one as Gunze 'brushes and - more importantly - parts weren't readily available outside Japan.  Spraygunner is offering the whole range of GSI-Creos airbrushes and has a large stock of spare parts, too. They also sell a lot of other GSI-Creos products, too, including the fairly new "Acrysion" water-based paints. I've placed several orders with Spraygunner, and I can vouch for the high quality of their service and their rapid shipping (at least here in the U.S.).

That's the good news. The bad news is that the PS770 has become very popular very fast, and is on backorder both at Spraygunner and in Japan.  However, if you order one now you can expect delivery by early October. For the price, it's worth the wait.

August 18th, 2018, 10:43 pm #2

I've had one for over a year and use it regularly. Go to brush for detail work and very dependable. Just for kicks, the head fits right on my micron and sprays just as well as far as I can tell. Unless you're looking for effects like on the go stippling  (or don't have a regulator), the Mac valve isn't really useful. Like my micron, this brush is a one trick pony. The only qualm I have is the cup is a little big for a hairline brush and permanently mounted. But yeah, works a treat...

August 19th, 2018, 2:37 am #3

I'm with you there.  I've shied away from buying any Iwatas with built-in mac valves as I wasn't sure if I really needed a valve on the airbrush.  I do a lot of spraying at lower pressures (10psi or less) but I have a good regulator on my air supply and I find the separate air control valves that Iwata, Sparmax, Grex and others sell work just fine for controlling the air flow.  I'm still on the fence about the built-in valves; they're certainly convenient. I suppose it comes down to a matter of personal preference. That said, the valve on the PS770 (and the GSI-Creos Platinum Series airbrushes - I bought one of those, too. Hard to resist at under $100) works well and seems well-made. By comparison, I find the valve setup on the Badger Xtreme Patriot to be a little cheap-feeling. 

I agree about the larger bowl, too. My CM-B Micron is just about right with the 1.8ml cup.  With a .18mm nozzle, even that much paint goes a long, long way.  I find the PS770 is a bit weightier that what I'm used to also, though I admit I haven't put it on a scale to check.  Those caveats aside, however, it's a great airbrush, performs very, very well and represents considerable value for money.  

On the plus side I find both the PS770 and the Platinum series brushes, with their "micron-type" head assembly, are a little easier to clean than my HP-B or HP-C+.  With the separate head on the GSI brushes (and the Iwata Microns) you can clean the nozzle while leaving it in place on the head, eliminating the need to remove and replace the tiny, smaller-than-a-grain-of-rice nozzle.

August 19th, 2018, 4:33 pm #4

I break down the teeny nozzles (Grex, Iwata, Tamiya et.al.) pretty much after every use. Never really had a problem other that oops where did it go. Anal?  Well it is a pita, but I like to believe it goes with the "dependable" aspect. 
FWIW, I shoot from industrial down to models with much in between. I "kinda" have a lot of guns, and each has it's quirks.  They all work too, no matter the brand. I also inested in a PS-290 for broad coverage, under 70$ awhile back. That sprays like my Iwata Baby. But it doesn't hold a quarter pint of paint ; )