Bad news for Baltimore area, Bel Air Hobby Works is closing

Bad news for Baltimore area, Bel Air Hobby Works is closing

February 12th, 2018, 10:16 pm #1

Just confirmed that the Bel Air, MD Hobby Works is closing. Despite (from what I've been told) meeting and exceeding its sales goals the owner has decided to go to a online presence. What this means for the Laurel MD shop I don't know. All I know is now there are NO shops at all in the Balt. MD area. I would like to thank Wes and his crew up there for providing great service.
Looks like the end of this month..

February 13th, 2018, 12:51 am #2

Looks like the Fairfax property is closing as well if not closed already. I've seen Jesse and the other guys many times at hobby trade shows.

February 13th, 2018, 12:51 am #3

Just confirmed that the Bel Air, MD Hobby Works is closing. Despite (from what I've been told) meeting and exceeding its sales goals the owner has decided to go to a online presence. What this means for the Laurel MD shop I don't know. All I know is now there are NO shops at all in the Balt. MD area. I would like to thank Wes and his crew up there for providing great service.
double post,,,this sucks
Last edited by 86Sabreboy1 on February 13th, 2018, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2018, 12:52 am #4

triple post,,,this sucks
Last edited by 86Sabreboy1 on February 13th, 2018, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2018, 2:05 am #5

Looks like the Fairfax property is closing as well if not closed already. I've seen Jesse and the other guys many times at hobby trade shows.
Fairfax closed already, whats going with all these closings? They made their numbers...

February 13th, 2018, 3:02 am #6

in my 70 years of modeling I will not have a hobby shop within easy driving distance. I wonder how bad the withdrawal symptoms will be??

Bill Shuey
in Baltimore

February 13th, 2018, 3:03 am #7

out to Wes and the shop much from Carroll Co but whenever I was in Bel Air I stopped in....to shop, look, and say hello. Sad news indeed:( Sorry to hear this Wes, thanks for all you did us Baltimore guys. Mike

February 13th, 2018, 4:18 am #8

in my 70 years of modeling I will not have a hobby shop within easy driving distance. I wonder how bad the withdrawal symptoms will be??

Bill Shuey
in Baltimore
It’s not just hobbies; it’s all of retail. Who can afford the rent? But everything is changing and quickly. In the very near future credit cards as we know them are gone. Autos? Mostly gone. My hunch is that retail will be very limited and mostly show rooms for large ticket items or convenience stores. Hobbyists will find good products but not in brick and mortars—get ready for the $299 Trumpeter B-17 in 1/48z

February 13th, 2018, 6:07 am #9

Fairfax closed already, whats going with all these closings? They made their numbers...
From talking with the former manager of the Fairfax Hobby Works, Bruce, the Rockville and Laurel stores are staying open.

Because the Fairfax store was walking distance from me and because Bruce and other employee are part of our local modelling club, having the Fairfax Hobby Works close really sucks, even though I do have other hobby stores, i.e., Whistle Stop Hobbies and Eagle & Empire within 30 minutes from me, both of which I have visited and bought models from in recent weeks.

February 13th, 2018, 6:24 am #10

It’s not just hobbies; it’s all of retail. Who can afford the rent? But everything is changing and quickly. In the very near future credit cards as we know them are gone. Autos? Mostly gone. My hunch is that retail will be very limited and mostly show rooms for large ticket items or convenience stores. Hobbyists will find good products but not in brick and mortars—get ready for the $299 Trumpeter B-17 in 1/48z
I agree with you about the decline of retail in general and of brick and mortar hobby stores specifically.

Because my other major hobby besides modelling is board wargames, I've grown used to purchasing most of the products for that hobby by mail order or online for over 30 years now, so I'm not as fearful of a future I might only be able to buy model kits and supplies from online stores.

With the closing of Hobby Works-Fairfax last month, I miss having a local hobby store I could walk to, but the reality was that my purchases there were mainly items I bought to help support my local hobby store where I didn't take too large a hit compared to the price I would pay online. I will try to do something similar with my remaining local hobby stores, but the present and future of buying most products for modelling is clearly online.

Mark