B17's of 100 Group RAF.

B17's of 100 Group RAF.

May 23rd, 2012, 8:44 am #1

Hi all.
I'm about to paint my 100 Group B17. Does anyone know if most of the windows were painted over or not?
As the aircraft was never meant as a night bomber there's plenty of windows that a UK built machine probably wouldn't have had, I'm thinking of the waist windows as well as the radio room and navigator positions.
The few pictures I have just don't show the bits I want.
Any help gratefully recieved.
Regards,
PK.

May 23rd, 2012, 11:40 am #2

...but I have seen most with waist and radio room windows remaining.

It looks as if a few had the nose windows painted over though - especially the larger cheek windows on the F's and G's (or IIa and III)

May 23rd, 2012, 8:14 pm #3

Hi all.
I'm about to paint my 100 Group B17. Does anyone know if most of the windows were painted over or not?
As the aircraft was never meant as a night bomber there's plenty of windows that a UK built machine probably wouldn't have had, I'm thinking of the waist windows as well as the radio room and navigator positions.
The few pictures I have just don't show the bits I want.
Any help gratefully recieved.
Regards,
PK.
Hi there
If you let me know which 100 Group B17 you are building I can have a look and see what I can dig up for you. I have both of Martin Streetly's books on 100 Group and a few other 100 Group books. I am sure there should be something there to help you.
regards
Brian

May 24th, 2012, 2:10 pm #4

Hi Brian.
Thanks for the offer but I've gone with masking and keeping the windows.
Cheers.
PK.