B-29 over Europe in 1944, is it possible?

B-29 over Europe in 1944, is it possible?

December 10th, 2011, 10:04 pm #1

Hi there,

today I met with some of my friends for our monthly meeting and during this we had a lively discussion. One of my old friends (age 80 years) talked about his time as Flak gunner/helper during WWII. He said that in 1944 he saw a B-29 flying over Austria at least he is pretty sure about this and I have to mention that te really knows the difference between a B-17, B-24 and a B-29 and also about ost of the other Bombers. I told him that I dont think so because at least at that time all B-29 went to the Pacific area.

Another friend of mine said that the Brits had one B-29 in 1944 which was used as Churchills travel aircraft (something I have never heard of, and which I really do not believe ) was there ever a B-29 converted as a travel aircraft? and could it be possible that a B-29 was flying over Europe in 1944?

And yes I know that there were B-29s over Europe some time after the war.

Your help would be appreciated.

TIA

Cheers

René

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz

December 10th, 2011, 10:16 pm #2

I'm really in doubt that Churchill was given one; I'm sure that never happened. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

December 10th, 2011, 10:22 pm #3

... of at least one early B-29 (in OD/neutral gray) visiting 8th AF bases in England. But over Austria or any enemy/occupied territory seems far-fetched.

December 10th, 2011, 10:29 pm #4

Hi there,

today I met with some of my friends for our monthly meeting and during this we had a lively discussion. One of my old friends (age 80 years) talked about his time as Flak gunner/helper during WWII. He said that in 1944 he saw a B-29 flying over Austria at least he is pretty sure about this and I have to mention that te really knows the difference between a B-17, B-24 and a B-29 and also about ost of the other Bombers. I told him that I dont think so because at least at that time all B-29 went to the Pacific area.

Another friend of mine said that the Brits had one B-29 in 1944 which was used as Churchills travel aircraft (something I have never heard of, and which I really do not believe ) was there ever a B-29 converted as a travel aircraft? and could it be possible that a B-29 was flying over Europe in 1944?

TIA

Cheers

René

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz
Somewhere around here I have some photos of an OD over grey B-29 in the UK in 1944. It carried the name 'Amarillo Solenoid' on the nose.
One story attached to the presence of the B-29 in the UK was to give Germany the impression that they were being based in the UK for ops over Europe.

I'll see if I can dig the photo out.

Cheers
Dave

December 10th, 2011, 10:36 pm #5

Hi there,

TIA

Cheers

René

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz
In 1944 not even FDR had a B-29 transport. He was still using various unpressurized converted bombers and Pan Am Clippers. The B-29(s) that toured the UK did not engage in combat operations, so if he saw one over Austria, it would have been after the war. Highly doubtful in either case.

The B-29 wasn't well suited to being a transport. SAC did have one "VB-29" Command Support Aircraft in the 1950s, but AFAIK that was the only one dedicated to such a use.

December 10th, 2011, 11:56 pm #6

... of at least one early B-29 (in OD/neutral gray) visiting 8th AF bases in England. But over Austria or any enemy/occupied territory seems far-fetched.
maybe I got it wrong. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

December 10th, 2011, 11:57 pm #7

Somewhere around here I have some photos of an OD over grey B-29 in the UK in 1944. It carried the name 'Amarillo Solenoid' on the nose.
One story attached to the presence of the B-29 in the UK was to give Germany the impression that they were being based in the UK for ops over Europe.

I'll see if I can dig the photo out.

Cheers
Dave
lk;

December 11th, 2011, 12:04 am #8

Hi there,

TIA

Cheers

René

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz
There were still two Me.264 prototypes about on test until mid-1944, when they were destroyed. The Me.264 is a very similar size and configuration to the B-29.

December 11th, 2011, 12:32 am #9

n/t

December 11th, 2011, 1:05 am #10

I'm really in doubt that Churchill was given one; I'm sure that never happened. cheers, LL

Churchill used Avro York LV633 "Ascalon." n/t