B-25J bomb bay...

B-25J bomb bay...

June 9th, 2012, 5:49 pm #1

I have googled and smoogled and the question on the bomb bay color is still moot. What is the consensus as to NMF or bronze green here on Hyperscale?
Ken

June 9th, 2012, 6:18 pm #2

Ken,

From what I've been able to discove in original, NOT restorations B24J's, the bomb bay itself was NMF, while the walkway and the interior of the doors were green. However the top of walkway probably would have been highly polished, from wear, down to bare aluminium

HTH,
Tom

June 9th, 2012, 6:29 pm #3

I have googled and smoogled and the question on the bomb bay color is still moot. What is the consensus as to NMF or bronze green here on Hyperscale?
Ken
I recall seeing a photo or two posted here of a painted B-25 bomb bay, but I think they were PBJ's, possibly a corrosion preventative. That is just a guess on my part. From the factory, all B-25s had unpainted bomb bays. This is borne out by the maintenance manuals. HTH, Karl

June 9th, 2012, 11:44 pm #4

Ken
Apparently, early B-25s had interior green, while H and Js were NMF. Why do I remember so vividly? Read the thread literally a day after I painted my Hasegawa B-25J bomb bays. Interior green. Working on something else right now until I calm down.

June 10th, 2012, 1:52 am #5

Thanks guys...painted it NMF today...n/t

June 10th, 2012, 3:12 am #6

Ken
and he said the late war B-25J he worked on was NMF all the way, including some stuff you would have thought would be chromated. The reason was that in 1944 a B-25 in combat had about a 4 to 6 week service life, so they didn't get a chance to corrode.

So he got to tear the skinning off the wing and apply chromate, as well as the inside of the fuselage.

So NMF is very correct.

Jim

Not everything has changed - only the important stuff. - Charles Stross
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross