B-25 colors - a question for the masses

B-25 colors - a question for the masses

May 25th, 2012, 2:54 am #1

Hello everybody!

We at SCHAF (South Carolina Historic Aviation Foundation) have come to a bit of a sensitive topic about restoring our B-25. While I believe that this aircraft was originally with a natural metal finish, some other members believe it was OD, while one of the surviving pilots says he thought it was pink.

Therefore, I seek more opinions. Below are pictures of the aircraft when it was raised from Lake Greenwood in 1983. (If any of you have any information as to what serial number North American stopped painting their B-25s, that would be most helpful.)

Also, if any of you are interested in helping restore this aircraft, or having their models be put on display with it, please let me know.

Last edited by BigBadGman on May 25th, 2012, 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2012, 3:20 am #2

It looks to be a B-25 C (or D), so it would have been delivered in OD over Neutral Gray. The photos look like it has been repainted on Desert Tan, and you can see what looks to be some OD peeking through worn areas of the tan paint.
What's the USAAF serial number, and did the aircraft serve in North Africa? That would explain the "Pink".

Phil Schenfeld

May 25th, 2012, 3:37 am #3

Unless we find out otherwise (we are waiting on its service record to arrive), she seems to have stayed here in the US. She was once transferred from Columbia AAB to Greenville AAB, but that still keeps her in South Carolina.

Her serial number is 41-3285.

May 25th, 2012, 3:40 am #4

Hello everybody!

We at SCHAF (South Carolina Historic Aviation Foundation) have come to a bit of a sensitive topic about restoring our B-25. While I believe that this aircraft was originally with a natural metal finish, some other members believe it was OD, while one of the surviving pilots says he thought it was pink.

Therefore, I seek more opinions. Below are pictures of the aircraft when it was raised from Lake Greenwood in 1983. (If any of you have any information as to what serial number North American stopped painting their B-25s, that would be most helpful.)

Also, if any of you are interested in helping restore this aircraft, or having their models be put on display with it, please let me know.

Here is another picture, taken from farther away.

May 25th, 2012, 3:44 am #5

Hello everybody!

ca. 1988-89 on this very aircraft. I remember them saying she was built in KC; but it has been years since I read the article.

G

The concentration of wealth means the proliferation of misery.

May 25th, 2012, 3:48 am #6

Unless we find out otherwise (we are waiting on its service record to arrive), she seems to have stayed here in the US. She was once transferred from Columbia AAB to Greenville AAB, but that still keeps her in South Carolina.

May 25th, 2012, 3:48 am #7

41-3285 would be a Douglas A-20B
From the Joe Baugher site: 41-2671/3669 Douglas A-20B Havoc
Without a valid serial number, its a right trial to find out any other information.

BTW, the desert tan could have been from a test and evaluation exercise, or one or other squadron could have been scheduled to deploy to the Med and trained on tan camo-ed aircraft.

Phil

May 25th, 2012, 3:49 am #8

Transposed the existing California tail no. (it is the extant near-kin to this ship as listed in Avery's book.)

Last edited by Confido on May 25th, 2012, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2012, 4:07 am #9

Oops. That's it.

May 25th, 2012, 10:38 am #10

...41-13285 ?