B-24 Bomb Bay Doors

B-24 Bomb Bay Doors

June 16th, 2012, 2:15 pm #1

I'm not that knowledgeable on the B-24, but was just going through some pictures of flickr and found this one. Can someone tell me what is going on here with the bomb bay? I assumed that all B-24's had the corrugated bomb bay doors that slid up the fuselage, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing here.

Link to the full size picture,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18532986@N ... 353942605/

June 16th, 2012, 3:20 pm #2

the bombs were dropped with them shut, tearing the doors out of their tracks.

June 16th, 2012, 4:16 pm #3

I have no idea what we're seeing there, but that makes as much sense as anything. Note the fwd left door is intact. I'd be interested to hear from Mr. Griffith on what he thinks. I don't know how the bomb bay doors on the B-24 operated - whether they were mechanically interconnected or not. One would think if a 500 lb bomb had hit the door it would have deformed it in some way. Those doors appear to be perfectly intact (if in fact it's the doors we're seeing).

What a strange photo!

June 16th, 2012, 4:47 pm #4

I'm not that knowledgeable on the B-24, but was just going through some pictures of flickr and found this one. Can someone tell me what is going on here with the bomb bay? I assumed that all B-24's had the corrugated bomb bay doors that slid up the fuselage, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing here.

rollers popping out as a result. Whatever...the results are quite uniform...interesting photo none the less...
nice find........

Keep your Sprues Empty

June 16th, 2012, 5:09 pm #5

Aren't those doors in fore and aft sections? Looks like you can see the seperations in the photo and these oen things straddle the center of them.
Can you find the obverse shot of the slide/photo? They usually has more explanations on them from what I have seen.

June 16th, 2012, 6:30 pm #6

on the st'bd side..the port rear door is pointing outward (light color - alum)...you're seeing an optical contusion.....

Keep your Sprues Empty

June 16th, 2012, 6:59 pm #7

The rollers clearly left the tracks, the obvious questions is WHY?

It's pure conjecture, but I gotta believe the wiring of the bomb dropping system would have an interlock so as to prevent bombs from being released unless the doors were opened...

After decades of study, it has become obvious that Murphy was an optimist...

June 16th, 2012, 7:48 pm #8

I have no idea what we're seeing there, but that makes as much sense as anything. Note the fwd left door is intact. I'd be interested to hear from Mr. Griffith on what he thinks. I don't know how the bomb bay doors on the B-24 operated - whether they were mechanically interconnected or not. One would think if a 500 lb bomb had hit the door it would have deformed it in some way. Those doors appear to be perfectly intact (if in fact it's the doors we're seeing).

What a strange photo!
salvoed through closed bomb bay doors in various theatres, from Africa to the Pacific.

The doors were quite thin, just a single skin with fore and aft top hat stringers. They were designed to flex easily to roll up the sides and simply burst the rollers out of the tracks when bombs were released with the doors closed.

June 16th, 2012, 7:53 pm #9

I'll second that, but there don't seem to be any impact points visible.

June 16th, 2012, 7:57 pm #10

on the st'bd side..the port rear door is pointing outward (light color - alum)...you're seeing an optical contusion.....

Keep your Sprues Empty
Both Port doors are hanging out and flaping in the breeze quite a bit. The aft stbd door is also partially torn off the tracks and a flappin.