AZ 1:72 Mig-17 comments please

AZ 1:72 Mig-17 comments please

June 27th, 2012, 3:58 pm #1

Has anyone seen or built the AZ Mig-17 yet. I think this is a new realease but i'm not sure. It could be some other kit being reboxed.

If it's new,I think I would like to try one if their any good. I'm hoping Sword will do a Mig-17 and 19.

Thanks for any input, Tim

June 30th, 2012, 7:41 am #2

IMHO specially cockpit assembly needs attention and it is probably best to replace kits ejection seat with AM part.Fuselage has no location pins and also landing gear covers are bit of pain.
Decals are very good and depending on boxing You get a good selection but no stencillings are included.
It is also very hard to put weight on the nose to prevent tail sitting because there's no room for them.
I've liked building it and at least to my eyes it look's good and does well for me.
So I would recommend it though they are quite pricey.
I hope that this would help You a little,these are only my opinions of the kit and I might very well have done something wrong during assembly where the mentioned problems caused.

HTH
Teemu Haajanen

June 30th, 2012, 11:33 am #3

Thanks for the reply. I have built the DML J-15 and added NVAF markings. It is a lot better than most -17's out there but I have not seen the AZ. I'll try one when I find one. I guess I could build a intake cover to close it off after stuffing all the weight in the nose.

Again, thanks, Tim

June 30th, 2012, 7:15 pm #4

problem.You may still have problems with space between cockpit and nose.
I haven't yet build any other MiG-17 than this AZ Models so I can't compare but according to my opinion this kit would certainly worth of building.
I don't yet have any photo account so I can't post any pics of my model.

July 1st, 2012, 4:05 pm #5

Has anyone seen or built the AZ Mig-17 yet. I think this is a new realease but i'm not sure. It could be some other kit being reboxed.

If it's new,I think I would like to try one if their any good. I'm hoping Sword will do a Mig-17 and 19.

Thanks for any input, Tim
Hi Tim!

I am working on an AZ Model Mig-17 right now. In fact, here's how it looked as of yesterday:

[/IMG]

It now has the last coat of overall red on the fuselage and is now drying on my shelf. Next steps are painting the landing gear bays and highly polished speed brakes then it is on to decals and final assembly. So far, I am happy with the way it came together. Here is a step by step build review with photos that I am doing for a GB on ARC up to the final paint stage:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/ ... pic=243689

I hope to finish this build by the end of the month (July) so you can check back in a few weeks and see how it finally comes together.

Hope this helps!
Have fun modeling
Mike

July 3rd, 2012, 11:52 am #6

Hi Mike, sorry for the late reply, I have not been home the last couple of days.

The plane looks great, quite a paint scheme. Does this kit have the after burner in the tail?.
Again, it looks like a fun build. Good job.

July 4th, 2012, 1:26 am #7

Thanks for the great comments. It has been a fun build so far. It just takes a bit more work than a state of the art Tamiya kit.

The kit does come with the afterburner. I decided to add that at the end so I can use the open back and for support during painting. Actually, with the PE part from the detail set and some decent painting, the afterburner looks really good.

I hope to finish painting the landing gear bays and airbrake this week and start decaling next week. I am still hoping to finish this around the end of the month unless work gets in the way.

I would have no problem building another Mig 17 using the AZ Model kit. I had several copies of the Dragon kit and sold them when it was pointed out to me how much the fuselage and wings are off.

Have fun modeling!
Mike