Atlas Sky Merchant decals

Atlas Sky Merchant decals

April 5th, 2012, 10:14 pm #1

I am looking for a set of decals for a 1/50th scale Douglas DC-4 aircraft the 'Atlas Sky Merchant'. This plane was the first corporate aircraft in history and in 1948 flew around the world on a 50,000 mile sojourn, making stops in most of the worlds major cities and capitals. My grandfather was the commander of the plane, although there were also pilots, so I am not sure what the commander did. Here is a link to a picture of the model I am attempting to replicate Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Email me at cooltp@aol.com

April 5th, 2012, 11:25 pm #2

Nice looking markings, but I would ask you to elaborate on the above statement.
I can think of several newspapers and other businesses that operated aircraft clear back into the 1920. Various Lockheed aircraft come quickly to mind.
I realize corporations and businesses in general are somewhat free with such claims, but this one seems rather unlikely.

April 6th, 2012, 1:04 am #3

Agreed, Norm. Maybe a "flying showroom", an a/c of that size? n/t

April 6th, 2012, 6:43 pm #4

My understanding is that this was the first aircraft purchased by a company for the sole purpose of promoting that companies products. I am sure, as Norm pointed out, that companies may have purchased aircraft as way to expedite employee travel, or possibly news gathering (I would like some elaboration on that), and, of course, other aircraft had corporate sponsors and logo's, as my grandfather piloted some of these as well (for Standard Oil of New Jersey-Esso, as one example), but this, I believe (and my family documentation seems to concur), was the first aircraft of its kind.
In any event, any ideas on decals or someone who can make them? That's why I'm here, not to argue semantics (although it is fun!)