Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth. Recommended book

Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth. Recommended book

October 12th, 2017, 4:04 pm #1

By Jacek Jackiewicz and Robert Bock. Just received my copy. Great book full of photos and color illustrated four views of many B-17s and B-24s.
Wonder if there are decals available for all of these although it would be more practical to mask and paint the larger areas.

October 12th, 2017, 4:16 pm #2

Hi Barry,

HAD Models makes some decals for the birds in 1/72 and 1/48. Hannants carries them and if you look at their website you can see what is available.

I have wanted to get the book for years and keep waiting until I can find it at a good price.

Hasegawa did a 1/72 B-24 assembly ship with the markings for Little Gramper and Minicraft has released a assembly ship as well. I have the Hasegawa kit which is very nice and gives you all of the red polk dot decals.

Kevin

October 12th, 2017, 4:28 pm #3

Tom Petteys at Aberdeen Books in Denver, Colorado. Tom has a lot of slow-moving older stock, and he may (I repeat, *may*) still have a copy of the Assembly Ships book remaining. It's worth a shot.

October 12th, 2017, 4:46 pm #4

Thanks Terry and I will check it out. From what I have seen the book retails for about $45 and I have seen it for a bit less on Ebay.

October 12th, 2017, 5:28 pm #5

Hi Barry,

HAD Models makes some decals for the birds in 1/72 and 1/48. Hannants carries them and if you look at their website you can see what is available.

I have wanted to get the book for years and keep waiting until I can find it at a good price.

Hasegawa did a 1/72 B-24 assembly ship with the markings for Little Gramper and Minicraft has released a assembly ship as well. I have the Hasegawa kit which is very nice and gives you all of the red polk dot decals.

Kevin
Hasegawa also did a striped version. Maybe more? nt.

October 12th, 2017, 6:35 pm #6

By Jacek Jackiewicz and Robert Bock. Just received my copy. Great book full of photos and color illustrated four views of many B-17s and B-24s.
Wonder if there are decals available for all of these although it would be more practical to mask and paint the larger areas.
Now I admit there was some happy timing at the time.

Just as enjoyable and informative is the followup book: Hacks-Utility Planes of the Mighty Eighth ISN 9788392491439
Ansons, T-6s, Mustangs from various OTUs, whole mess of P-47s, plus an errata list for the first volume.

October 12th, 2017, 6:59 pm #7

I recall one of the early 1/48 MicroScale B-24J sheets had an assembly ship as one of the subjects.

October 12th, 2017, 10:13 pm #8

Got it kicking around here somewhere.

I've looked at doing one of the ships on the 1/72 sheet with fiber optics to light the letters, but feel I would also a pistol on my workbench to finish me off when the work got too tedious and infuriating...

October 13th, 2017, 1:38 am #9

Remember the wonderful Shep Paine B-24 assembly ship diorama? n/t