arresting gear question

arresting gear question

Ron Snow
Ron Snow

December 6th, 2011, 7:01 pm #1

I have a Revell carrier in the 1/546 scale. I have sanded off the raised and over sized tie downs. The arrestor cables are too large also. However, on many photos I have seen the cables presence do appear, if only faintly, from some distance back.

I want to sand them off but not sure of what to do to replace them.

use very thin wire

post shade

pre shade

just sand them off and leave alone

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

December 6th, 2011, 7:57 pm #2

Try to retain the end blocks when you shave or sand off the kit's cables. Hobby Lobby or any sewing store will have Coats and Clark Invisible Nylon Thread. That's what I use for a lot of rigging on 1/700 and 1/350 ships. The clear stuff I have is .004 inches in diameter but it comes in other sizes. I run it through a black or brown permanent marker to color it and it also straightens it. Just drill a #80 hole at each location and string the thread across the deck and tack it in place with super glue from the underside if you can. Or stick the thread into the hole, add a tiny drop of super glue and wait for it to set, then pull taut and glue the other end in. Any sag can be taken care of with hot smoke, it tightens up just like stretched sprue.

300 yards cost me $2.09 many years ago when I bought mine. After doing many ships and bi-planes and things like that I probably have 250 yards of it left.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

Ron Snow
Ron Snow

December 6th, 2011, 10:01 pm #3

Thank you very much for the informantion.