Arizona Red Turrets

Arizona Red Turrets

March 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm #1

was there a reason why turret #3 did not have a red top?

Why not all the turrets?

March 19th, 2012, 9:35 pm #2

Most if not all U.S. battlerships had a catapult atop turret #3 which would obscure most of the red of the turret top. But, then again, would not the barrels of turrets #2 & 3 obscure the tops of turrets #1 & 4? This may not be the actual reason but it is one that alot of people give for a reason. If it is wrong, someone more knowledgeable than I will help set the record straight.

March 19th, 2012, 11:39 pm #3

was there a reason why turret #3 did not have a red top?

Why not all the turrets?
http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... SL-41.html

Remember that the colors helped to identify the ship to the embarked aircraft.

The after turret indicates the ships designation in the division. The forward two turrets indicates the division. The Arizona was the flagship of the division - hence Red/Red/Red. If it was Red/Red/Red/Red -- okay. But what about the Nevada the second ship in the division. It was Red/Red/White.

If it was painted as Red/Red/White/White - which end is forward in the heat of battle? Mistake it for White/White/Red and you're calling the shot fall for the Tennessee - the first ship in the second division.

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... kings.html

There is actually a rhyme to the reason

Tracy runs Researcher at Large
Last edited by EdGrune on March 19th, 2012, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

March 20th, 2012, 1:03 am #4

I was going off the huge 1/200 Trumpeter AZ box I saw at my LHS.

I assume we start counting from the bow?

the box art shows red, red, grey, red

Is that how I understand your post?

thx - Craig

March 21st, 2012, 1:33 am #5

and there was no need for 4 colors.

March 21st, 2012, 11:17 am #6

I was going off the huge 1/200 Trumpeter AZ box I saw at my LHS.

I assume we start counting from the bow?

the box art shows red, red, grey, red

Is that how I understand your post?

thx - Craig
The front TWO turrets indicated the ship's division and the rear ONE turret indicates the ship's number in the division.

Actually the 2 front, 1 rear turret layout did not happen until after Pearl Harbor (I believe it was the North Carolina class that was the first 3 turret BB) so as to why the 4th turret was painted vice the 3rd, it was probably due to the catapult being on top of the 3rd turret on some of the latter BBs such as the Arizona and the Pennsylvania.

But being as how we are talking about the USN it could just as well have come down to the old The Admiral wants it that way reason as well.
Last edited by MarkB007 on March 21st, 2012, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2012, 11:59 pm #7

I do think the catapault may have also been a factor.

March 22nd, 2012, 8:31 pm #8

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... SL-41.html

Remember that the colors helped to identify the ship to the embarked aircraft.

The after turret indicates the ships designation in the division. The forward two turrets indicates the division. The Arizona was the flagship of the division - hence Red/Red/Red. If it was Red/Red/Red/Red -- okay. But what about the Nevada the second ship in the division. It was Red/Red/White.

If it was painted as Red/Red/White/White - which end is forward in the heat of battle? Mistake it for White/White/Red and you're calling the shot fall for the Tennessee - the first ship in the second division.

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... kings.html

There is actually a rhyme to the reason

Tracy runs Researcher at Large
I started posting stuff to that site so that there would be more "experts" than just me (I'm no expert, just have researched a lot). If we have multiple people who know an answer, it's more likely that it'll be answered correctly.

So no need to worry about stealing my thunder...I'm trying to put it out there for everyone to use.
Tracy White
Researcher At Large