Are the codes for the SBDs "Dusty" Kleiss flew at Midway known? nt

September 12th, 2017, 5:15 pm #1

TIA, Richard

Kleiss SBD

September 12th, 2017, 7:33 pm #2

Funny you should ask; I'm reading his book right now. Apparently, it was "6-S-7". I qualify that because the picture of him taking off in it is captioned, in part, with "Although positive identification of this reel (the picture is a screen capture) is uncertain, this could have been taken on the afternoon of June 4, 1942, in which case, this is the mission that led to the sinking of the Hiryu." Opposite that page is David Gray's painting of Kleiss' attack on the Hiryu and that SBD is coded "6-S-7".
Last edited by 144Modeler on September 12th, 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The review of "Never call me a hero" in Proceedings brought this up : what do you think of

September 12th, 2017, 7:54 pm #3

the book?
Greetings from Austria, Richard

I wonder!!....

September 12th, 2017, 8:13 pm #4

Funny you should ask; I'm reading his book right now. Apparently, it was "6-S-7". I qualify that because the picture of him taking off in it is captioned, in part, with "Although positive identification of this reel (the picture is a screen capture) is uncertain, this could have been taken on the afternoon of June 4, 1942, in which case, this is the mission that led to the sinking of the Hiryu." Opposite that page is David Gray's painting of Kleiss' attack on the Hiryu and that SBD is coded "6-S-7".
All that I have read seems to indicate that by the Midway affair U.S. Navy codes had deleted the squadron number for security concerns and in that case the side number should simply have been "S-7". Others may know more.

Bill Shuey

Kleiss SBD

September 12th, 2017, 8:15 pm #5

the book?
Greetings from Austria, Richard
I bought the book because of Admiral Taylor's review. A little too heavy for my tastes on his religion problems with his courtship, but I am enjoying it. I'm just at the part where he's joining Scouting 6 but in a bigger hurry than he'd contemplated.

Damn! You made look again!

September 12th, 2017, 9:14 pm #6

All that I have read seems to indicate that by the Midway affair U.S. Navy codes had deleted the squadron number for security concerns and in that case the side number should simply have been "S-7". Others may know more.

Bill Shuey
It is just plain "S-7" in the photo and the painting.

My bad.