APTGB Vought Corsair Mk.IV FAA, HMS Formidable - August 1945

APTGB Vought Corsair Mk.IV FAA, HMS Formidable - August 1945

February 4th, 2012, 4:26 am #1

I started this kit just before Christmas, and it has been a little bit on the backburner, whilst I was playing around with the Spitfires.

The original intention was for it to be a RNZAF Corsair, but bad choice of paint colour really put that out of the question.

It is the venerable Airfix F4U Corsair in it FAA guise.
First impression was OMG, but I had seen David O Corsair and knew that something better existed under those rivets.
I decided to work on the following points:

1. Undercarriage
2. Cockpit
3. Front Engine cowling

First job was to build some semblance of a cockpit, so with some plasticard I built a basic cockpit.

Next was the engine cowl which was a rather blunt affair at the front. I decided to leave the engine alone as it did not appear to be too bad. After a lot of sanding I managed to get a smoother curve onto the front part of the cowl.

On the undercarriage I added some strip into their bays for the rubbing that should be there, after looking at the kits main wheels and struts I raided the spares box for something that could replace them. I am not sure what they came from but they appeared to be better than what was there.

I also scratched up a tail wheel assembly as the kit one was plain horrible, and at first because she was going to be a RNZAF bird, no tail hook.

Then as I tried to dry fit the canopy that it fell out of my hand onto the carpet. I moved my chair back to look for it when I heard the dreaded crunch as the wheels found it. Instead of one piece I now had four parts with crazy paving. So back into the spares box and no replacement, then onto an Academy kit and I raided that one.
One thing you learn is that Airfix when the moulded this kit they built it with canopy frame already moulded into the fuselage and that their transparency was only the clear section. I then cut away at the Airfix fuselage to reshape the area in removing their cockpit frame so to be able to fit the Academy one.

Once fitted I then had to fill, file and sand the area around it as the transparency is narrower that the fuselage.
After assembling the major components together I decided that the rear of the cowling onto the fuselage was a bit anaemic. At first I scribed out the flaps, when I dry fitted it to the fuselage it just seemed lacking in character. So I then filed down this section allowing a lip for me to build up again with card for open flaps. It again failed so I have borrowed a spare set of cooling flaps from a Tamiya Birdcage and used them.
So I also added the exhausts on the fuselage underside that are non-existent on the Airfix kit.

I then filled, filed and sanded the joins for the wings and the fuselage to iron out the gaps and dips.
I decided to sand down the rivets to considerably reduce them, I then scribed the flaps, wing fold joints and ailerons to give them better definition. I decide not to rescribe the panel lines.

Once satisfied I then applied the final colours, but I chose the wrong blue for the RNZAF version I intended to build as it was just too dark, so in the end I used the kits decals for the BPF machine they have

Lieutenant Hampton Gray, VC, DSC RCNVR

ADMIRALTY Whitehall, 13th November 1945.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS for valour to:

the late Temporary Lieutenant Robert Hampton GRAY, R.C.N.V.R.,
for great valour in leading an attack on a Japanese destroyer in Onagawa Wan, on 9 August 1945. In the face of fire from shore batteries and a heavy concentration of fire from some five warships Lieutenant Gray pressed home his attack, flying very low in order to ensure success, and, although he was hit and his aircraft was in flames, he obtained at least one direct hit, sinking the destroyer. Lieutenant Gray has consistently shown a brilliant fighting spirit and most inspiring leadership.

February 4th, 2012, 5:19 am #2

Last edited by ajd100 on February 4th, 2012, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2012, 5:59 am #3

I started this kit just before Christmas, and it has been a little bit on the backburner, whilst I was playing around with the Spitfires.

The original intention was for it to be a RNZAF Corsair, but bad choice of paint colour really put that out of the question.

First impression was OMG, but I had seen David O Corsair and knew that something better existed under those rivets.

1. Undercarriage
2. Cockpit
3. Front Engine cowling

First job was to build some semblance of a cockpit, so with some plasticard I built a basic cockpit.

Next was the engine cowl which was a rather blunt affair at the front. I decided to leave the engine alone as it did not appear to be too bad. After a lot of sanding I managed to get a smoother curve onto the front part of the cowl.

On the undercarriage I added some strip into their bays for the rubbing that should be there, after looking at the kits main wheels and struts I raided the spares box for something that could replace them. I am not sure what they came from but they appeared to be better than what was there.

I also scratched up a tail wheel assembly as the kit one was plain horrible, and at first because she was going to be a RNZAF bird, no tail hook.

Then as I tried to dry fit the canopy that it fell out of my hand onto the carpet. I moved my chair back to look for it when I heard the dreaded crunch as the wheels found it. Instead of one piece I now had four parts with crazy paving. So back into the spares box and no replacement, then onto an Academy kit and I raided that one.
One thing you learn is that Airfix when the moulded this kit they built it with canopy frame already moulded into the fuselage and that their transparency was only the clear section. I then cut away at the Airfix fuselage to reshape the area in removing their cockpit frame so to be able to fit the Academy one.

Once fitted I then had to fill, file and sand the area around it as the transparency is narrower that the fuselage.
After assembling the major components together I decided that the rear of the cowling onto the fuselage was a bit anaemic. At first I scribed out the flaps, when I dry fitted it to the fuselage it just seemed lacking in character. So I then filed down this section allowing a lip for me to build up again with card for open flaps. It again failed so I have borrowed a spare set of cooling flaps from a Tamiya Birdcage and used them.
So I also added the exhausts on the fuselage underside that are non-existent on the Airfix kit.

I then filled, filed and sanded the joins for the wings and the fuselage to iron out the gaps and dips.
I decided to sand down the rivets to considerably reduce them, I then scribed the flaps, wing fold joints and ailerons to give them better definition. I decide not to rescribe the panel lines.

Once satisfied I then applied the final colours, but I chose the wrong blue for the RNZAF version I intended to build as it was just too dark, so in the end I used the kits decals for the BPF machine they have

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS for valour to:

for great valour in leading an attack on a Japanese destroyer in Onagawa Wan, on 9 August 1945. In the face of fire from shore batteries and a heavy concentration of fire from some five warships Lieutenant Gray pressed home his attack, flying very low in order to ensure success, and, although he was hit and his aircraft was in flames, he obtained at least one direct hit, sinking the destroyer. Lieutenant Gray has consistently shown a brilliant fighting spirit and most inspiring leadership.
I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.

February 4th, 2012, 6:44 am #4

1. Undercarriage
2. Cockpit
3. Front Engine cowling

That's a good job on that old rivet monster Fred, I like the scheme also, n/t

February 4th, 2012, 12:00 pm #5

1. Undercarriage
2. Cockpit
3. Front Engine cowling

The finish looks great--slick 'n smooth!

Stuart

February 4th, 2012, 10:20 pm #6

Thanks, and I am surprisd how she came out

February 4th, 2012, 10:21 pm #7

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.
Thanks Steve

February 4th, 2012, 10:23 pm #8

That's a good job on that old rivet monster Fred, I like the scheme also, n/t
and also the quality of the decals. I have always tended to replace Airfix decals because they were generally rubbish, but these days tey are much beter

Fred

February 4th, 2012, 10:24 pm #9

The finish looks great--slick 'n smooth!

Stuart
Thanks Stuart I am pleased as she was a rivet monster