APTGB SB2C WIP, scritch scritch scratch scratch

APTGB SB2C WIP, scritch scritch scratch scratch

November 21st, 2011, 7:55 am #1

Hi all! I've just gotten back from been away in Kunming for the past two week with very limited time to be on line. Some lovely work going on here; sorry not to have been able to post more comments.

I always get a bit of a thrill going to Kunming, realizing that the Flying Tigers (led by John Wayne, of course, and flying 3/4 sized cardboard P-40s) were based there. Although naturally I didn't see any P-40s, one day I did get to see an An-2 growling slowly overhead.

This afternoon I started on the task I've been dreading: scribing the Helldiver. In the past I've only ever done minor bits of scribing, like restoring panel lines lost when fixing seams, and I've never done a particularly good job. This time it's the whole nine yards, the full Monty, a shebang-ful of whole enchiladas. This was sure not to be pretty, but I had to try sometime, so out came the Dymo tape, needle and pin-vise.

I first drew the lines in with a fine mechanical pencil to make sure I had things straight and in the right place. I used the very excellent Academy kit as my guide, although simplified things a bit. I then had at it with the needle:

Faaaaar from perfect, but as you'll note I started with the bottom to gain experience. After I recover from the trauma I'll tackle the top and fuselage.

Stuart
Last edited by StuartMilliken on November 21st, 2011, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 21st, 2011, 8:27 am #2

...that kit has come a lo-o-ong way...

Regards,
Adrian

November 21st, 2011, 8:47 am #3

Hi all! I've just gotten back from been away in Kunming for the past two week with very limited time to be on line. Some lovely work going on here; sorry not to have been able to post more comments.

I always get a bit of a thrill going to Kunming, realizing that the Flying Tigers (led by John Wayne, of course, and flying 3/4 sized cardboard P-40s) were based there. Although naturally I didn't see any P-40s, one day I did get to see an An-2 growling slowly overhead.

This afternoon I started on the task I've been dreading: scribing the Helldiver. In the past I've only ever done minor bits of scribing, like restoring panel lines lost when fixing seams, and I've never done a particularly good job. This time it's the whole nine yards, the full Monty, a shebang-ful of whole enchiladas. This was sure not to be pretty, but I had to try sometime, so out came the Dymo tape, needle and pin-vise.

I first drew the lines in with a fine mechanical pencil to make sure I had things straight and in the right place. I used the very excellent Academy kit as my guide, although simplified things a bit. I then had at it with the needle:

Faaaaar from perfect, but as you'll note I started with the bottom to gain experience. After I recover from the trauma I'll tackle the top and fuselage.

Stuart
Hmmm .... coming along nicely, don't make them too wide. n/t

November 21st, 2011, 10:06 am #4

...because I first drew them in with ink. I switched to pencil on the wings, which I then erased and this shows the true width better. I used just a single pass of the needle with only moderate pressure, so I have hopes that they will look nice and fine (even if not always straight!) after painting and washing.

Stuart

November 21st, 2011, 8:07 pm #5

Stuart
Very nicely looking so far, and I like the PRO look of your pin vise - it did possibly help You will get used to scribing, I am sure

Please keep posting WIP shots, that is really encouraging to slackers like me.

Regards,
Peter

P.S. Is that DYMO tape Chinese-made? I am asking because it's red, and I've only ever seen blue ))

November 21st, 2011, 9:07 pm #6

Stuart
Greg in OK

November 22nd, 2011, 12:23 am #7

Very nicely looking so far, and I like the PRO look of your pin vise - it did possibly help You will get used to scribing, I am sure

Please keep posting WIP shots, that is really encouraging to slackers like me.

Regards,
Peter

P.S. Is that DYMO tape Chinese-made? I am asking because it's red, and I've only ever seen blue ))
I've never found Dymo tape here; this is from a load I brought back from a trip to the US. It does in fact come in a variety of colors. Great stuff. I dread the day they stop making it.

Stuart

November 22nd, 2011, 2:16 am #8

Stuart
Nice job Stuart. Like everything else here., the more ya do, the better ya get...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

November 22nd, 2011, 6:36 pm #9

Stuart
My Helldiver will need the same treatment so I'm watching yours closely. I agree with Allan...looks just fine to me!

Well done and keep on posting.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

November 22nd, 2011, 9:54 pm #10

Stuart
you certainly nailed it. It looks very good indeed Stuart.

Cheers, Vic