APTGB - P-38J Lightning - part 5

APTGB - P-38J Lightning - part 5

March 6th, 2012, 11:17 pm #1

Hey everyone and sorry for not posting in ages, as have been tied up with work, family stuff....and other builds! As always, fantastic work around these parts, Hurricanes to Hellcats, unbelievable B-25s, B-29s, super Swordfish, brilliant Boomerangs and everything else Airfix.

Back when I started this build, I had the following rough image in my mind of what I wanted to do with the P-38 which is another of those iconic Pacific aircraft.

[/IMG]

Well, am finally getting there. The P-38 will finally get a canopy tomorrow evening (thanks to the patient sanding of fellow club modeller Philip) and I can then crack on with decaling and weathering her.

[/IMG]

The maintenance table (lower left) is scratchbuilt, as are the palm trees. Sure, I could have bought a pack online for $20 but need to watch the spending right now. I found the method on an armour site - trunks are old sprue, wrapped in masking tape and thread soaked in white glue and then painted up. The fronds are cut from paper with a soft wire branch to help them bend. They look ok-ish and will post some better pictures when they're finished.

The Zero (ancient Revell) is pretty much done. It's hard to see in the photo but it has tissue tarps across the cockpit and top of the cowling. I'm really happy with how battered it looks!

[/IMG]

Will post sooner, thanks for reading and enjoy your modelling.

Best wishes,

Dermot
Last edited by DermotMo on March 6th, 2012, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2012, 11:01 am #2

I was only thinking the other day how you were going withthe P-38

Fred

March 7th, 2012, 1:50 pm #3

Hey everyone and sorry for not posting in ages, as have been tied up with work, family stuff....and other builds! As always, fantastic work around these parts, Hurricanes to Hellcats, unbelievable B-25s, B-29s, super Swordfish, brilliant Boomerangs and everything else Airfix.

Back when I started this build, I had the following rough image in my mind of what I wanted to do with the P-38 which is another of those iconic Pacific aircraft.

[/IMG]

Well, am finally getting there. The P-38 will finally get a canopy tomorrow evening (thanks to the patient sanding of fellow club modeller Philip) and I can then crack on with decaling and weathering her.

[/IMG]

The maintenance table (lower left) is scratchbuilt, as are the palm trees. Sure, I could have bought a pack online for $20 but need to watch the spending right now. I found the method on an armour site - trunks are old sprue, wrapped in masking tape and thread soaked in white glue and then painted up. The fronds are cut from paper with a soft wire branch to help them bend. They look ok-ish and will post some better pictures when they're finished.

The Zero (ancient Revell) is pretty much done. It's hard to see in the photo but it has tissue tarps across the cockpit and top of the cowling. I'm really happy with how battered it looks!

[/IMG]

Best wishes,

Dermot
Nice work Dermot.

Cheers, Vic

March 8th, 2012, 11:00 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Best wishes,

Dermot
Good to see this one again

That Zero does indeed look good, and I love the tarps, a very nice addition

Thanks for the explanation about the palm trees - sounds very interesting and they do look good

What's the little truck underneath the palm trees, I can not seem to be able to identify it

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I
Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

March 9th, 2012, 1:08 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Best wishes,

Dermot
Great looking Zero, now onto the 38 !!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 9th, 2012, 5:32 am #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Best wishes,

Dermot
The Zero really looks the part of an airfield wreck; nice touches with the tarp and other props. I look forward to seeing more on the P-38!

Stuart