APTGB - M4A4 Sherman

APTGB - M4A4 Sherman

December 11th, 2011, 11:14 am #1

When it comes to armour in the APTGB there are no many choices, basically you have the M3 Lee/Grant, M4 Sherman, Vickers Light Tank, Matilda and the Chi-Ha.

So my choice is the M4 as I have a couple in my stash.

Being one of the oldest of the M4s on the marketit has more than its fair share of problems. I

I think that the same mould maker who did the anorexic noses on the Defiant and Airacobra and a say in this tank with its undersized turret.

The other problem is that my knowledge of USA usage of the M4 Sherman outside Europe and North Africa is very limited, Whilst the M4A2 AND M4A3 were used I am not comfortable stating about M4 usage, I will leave that upto the experts. On the CBI or SEAC theatre the primary tank was the M4A4 very few actual M4 models. So I have decided that to make and alter the kit to a M4A4.

Normally in this scale you just by the Revell/Matchbox Firefly and turn it back into a 75mm version all very nice and simple. But being an Airfix GB I will have to utilise as much of the Airfix kit as possible. Fortunately having been primarily a modeller of Commonwealth armour the past 8 years I have the mortal remains of two old Revell fireflies which I have been breaking up for spares.

So the plan of attack for this kit will be

1. Replace the existing Airfix turret with one from a Revell kit suitably corrected
2. Use the rear engine deck from the revel kit and fit into the upper hull of the Airfix kit and extend both this and the lower hull to allow for the longer length of the M4A4.
3. Adjust fill fix and replace items as required.

I have some marking for a Chines M4A4 of the 1st Provisional tank Group, Burma 1945 which fit in nicely

I will keep more posts over the coming weeks

December 11th, 2011, 2:16 pm #2

The original US versions of the M4 Sherman were the welded M4 and cast M4A1. The M4 and M4A1 were mechanically identical and the two designs were built at the same time to facilitate mass production. Outfits like Baldwin Locomotive Works who could cast large, armored, pieces, built the cast M4A1 tanks, while other fabricators built the angular, welded versions. The British called the M4 the Sherman I

The M4A4 (British Sherman V) was powered by a Chrysler multi bank automotive engine. The M4A4 was widely used by the British, who called it the Sherman V. The 17 pounder armed version, the Firefly, was the Sherman Vc.

Problems you will face with trying to make a Sherman V from a Sherman I is the V was much longer. They do not use the same chassis, and do not have the same wheel base. The tracks, obviously, are also longer. You probably can not just add the extra length in one spot either as photos show the suspension to be spaced out on the chassis differently. Of course you cant make cuts through the turret ring on the upper hull, which is also longer. If you are fussy and to be accurate the cast armored hoods over the drivers and co drivers hatches are not the same on the Sherman I and V although with Airfix they are probably not really accurate for either type. The Sherman V will require the later wide gun mantlet so you will have to scratch build that. You can't easily use the mantlet from the Revell/Matchbox kit as it is different to accept the 17 pounder gun. Also the turret from the Firefly had a different roof and hatch layout from the Sherman I and V as it had an added loaders hatch. The upper engine deck will be totally different between the Sherman I and V, as will the exhaust area. Also the Sherman V typically used an all steel Chevron type track that was fitted to most British tanks compared to the rubber block tracks in the Airfix kit. If you were to use the Revell upper hull you would need to rework/add the .30 machine gun as this was removed from the Vc.

I would consider making a Sherman I from the kit (the British did use this type) or the common M4A2 which was the same length as the M4

December 11th, 2011, 9:27 pm #3

On top of that Airfix built a cast nose onto the kit instead of a 3 part nose and then added the flanges for a the 3 part transmission. So I will also have to change the nose.

One option open to me is to do an M4A2 of the USMC on Tarawa.

As I have already cut the kits hull to do the extensions of the M4A4 I have committed myself to that path, but I may well start the 2nd Sherman in my stash and do a M4A2 after all there are no hull length extensions required and changing the kit nose to a cast nose is a lot easier.

Thanks for your input

Fred

December 11th, 2011, 9:57 pm #4

When it comes to armour in the APTGB there are no many choices, basically you have the M3 Lee/Grant, M4 Sherman, Vickers Light Tank, Matilda and the Chi-Ha.

Being one of the oldest of the M4s on the marketit has more than its fair share of problems. I

I think that the same mould maker who did the anorexic noses on the Defiant and Airacobra and a say in this tank with its undersized turret.

The other problem is that my knowledge of USA usage of the M4 Sherman outside Europe and North Africa is very limited, Whilst the M4A2 AND M4A3 were used I am not comfortable stating about M4 usage, I will leave that upto the experts. On the CBI or SEAC theatre the primary tank was the M4A4 very few actual M4 models. So I have decided that to make and alter the kit to a M4A4.

Normally in this scale you just by the Revell/Matchbox Firefly and turn it back into a 75mm version all very nice and simple. But being an Airfix GB I will have to utilise as much of the Airfix kit as possible. Fortunately having been primarily a modeller of Commonwealth armour the past 8 years I have the mortal remains of two old Revell fireflies which I have been breaking up for spares.

1. Replace the existing Airfix turret with one from a Revell kit suitably corrected
2. Use the rear engine deck from the revel kit and fit into the upper hull of the Airfix kit and extend both this and the lower hull to allow for the longer length of the M4A4.

I have some marking for a Chines M4A4 of the 1st Provisional tank Group, Burma 1945 which fit in nicely

That is a heck of a hacking job to do - but I appreciate some good old school modelling

Just out of curiosity I included a picture of my 1980s build Matchbox (reissued by Revell) Firefly next to dads 1960s build / 1980s repainted Airfix Sherman

Then there is still a Buffalo that can be done (dads 1970s build)

Or the famous DUKW (my 1980s build)

And even the Quad wandered around in Burma (dads 1960s build / 1980s repainted)

I forgot the Bren Gun carrier... and in the final Pacific war days the Soviet Union joined in with the T-34/85 and according rhumours even the mighty JS-3 (just rereleased by Airfix!)

Still some work to do

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII - Part IX - Part X/End
1/72 - Frog/Novo - Curtiss Tomahawk : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

December 11th, 2011, 11:29 pm #5

Also, the 5.5" gun was used in Burma, most famously as a siege gun in the assault on Fort Dufferin at Mandalay.
Last edited by veltro-uk on December 11th, 2011, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 12th, 2011, 12:12 am #6

I suppose if you allow mainland China as the "Pacific" you have to allow the T-34 and Stalin tank. The Russians overran the Japanese in Manchuria at the end of the War. While the Stalin was too late for the European theater, it may have made it to Asia.

The M3 Lee was used on Makin Atoll and the Lee and Grant were used by the British in Burma

The Universal Carrier would also have been used

December 12th, 2011, 1:03 am #7

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

December 12th, 2011, 4:45 am #8

That is a heck of a hacking job to do - but I appreciate some good old school modelling

Just out of curiosity I included a picture of my 1980s build Matchbox (reissued by Revell) Firefly next to dads 1960s build / 1980s repainted Airfix Sherman

Then there is still a Buffalo that can be done (dads 1970s build)

Or the famous DUKW (my 1980s build)

And even the Quad wandered around in Burma (dads 1960s build / 1980s repainted)

I forgot the Bren Gun carrier... and in the final Pacific war days the Soviet Union joined in with the T-34/85 and according rhumours even the mighty JS-3 (just rereleased by Airfix!)

Still some work to do

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII - Part IX - Part X/End
1/72 - Frog/Novo - Curtiss Tomahawk : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
William

Thats a nice little collection you have there

You might like this it is an Airfix Buffalo I did earlier this year before I started posting on the forum

Cheers

Fred