APTGB - Fairchild Bolingbroke IV -RCAF

APTGB - Fairchild Bolingbroke IV -RCAF

March 11th, 2012, 5:01 am #1

When this Group Build started, this aircraft was on the list of the ones I wanted to do. However, not having an Airfix Bl;enheim in my stash meant I had to obtain one from E-bay. Unfortunately that kit plus an Avenger fsailed to make it from the UK "long live Royal Mail" and I would strongly suggest that anyone getting stuff through the mail from the UK pay a bit more for a signature as they dont seem to loose them.

Eventually I managed to pick up another one closer to home, so I was now in position to build the kit I intended to do four months ago.

So in the past week as I tinkered around with the Hs123, I started work on a Blenheim IV, with the intention of doing a 115 Sqd RCAF, Bolingbrooke IV, British Columbia August 1943.

The base kit is the venerable Airfix Blenheim IV. Work to date has involved the following

1. Reduce the length of the engine nacelle on the top wing

2. Added a sharper tip to the tail fin and reshaped overall tail fin to give a more distinctive Bristol look about it.
3. Rebuilt the cockpit interior twice as the first version was nowhere near to being correct.

4. Overall sand reducing the effect of the rivets
5. Cleaned up the engine cowling and built up the interior of collector ring to remove anemic look.

Most of the work has been to the cockpit area, which would be very visible once completed

Thanks

Fred

Last edited by fredcoulson on March 17th, 2012, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 11th, 2012, 7:19 am #2

very nice Fred, a great looking cockpit, have you got some vac canopies to show it off?

Cheers
Jim

March 11th, 2012, 8:40 am #3

I have a falcon canopy sitting and waiting for this

March 11th, 2012, 2:07 pm #4

When this Group Build started, this aircraft was on the list of the ones I wanted to do. However, not having an Airfix Bl;enheim in my stash meant I had to obtain one from E-bay. Unfortunately that kit plus an Avenger fsailed to make it from the UK "long live Royal Mail" and I would strongly suggest that anyone getting stuff through the mail from the UK pay a bit more for a signature as they dont seem to loose them.

Eventually I managed to pick up another one closer to home, so I was now in position to build the kit I intended to do four months ago.

So in the past week as I tinkered around with the Hs123, I started work on a Blenheim IV, with the intention of doing a 115 Sqd RCAF, Bolingbrooke IV, British Columbia August 1943.

The base kit is the venerable Airfix Blenheim IV. Work to date has involved the following

2. Added a sharper tip to the tail fin and reshaped overall tail fin to give a more distinctive Bristol look about it.
3. Rebuilt the cockpit interior twice as the first version was nowhere near to being correct.

5. Cleaned up the engine cowling and built up the interior of collector ring to remove anemic look.

Most of the work has been to the cockpit area, which would be very visible once completed

Thanks

Fred

It's a hard kit to get a good result from - you seem to be cracking it though!

Regards,
Adrian

March 11th, 2012, 2:16 pm #5

Thanks

Fred

Looking great so far.

Cheers, Vic

March 11th, 2012, 10:30 pm #6

Thanks

Fred

Two years ago I bought an Airfix Blenheim - which was already started - the nacelles were already shortened, but that leaves still plenty of other things to do

Amazing the speed with which you tackle all these corrections Fred, my jaw is still on the floor !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

March 12th, 2012, 2:56 am #7

I have a falcon canopy sitting and waiting for this
I know it pays to dry fit the Falcon canopy though, I found I had to use a spacer to spread the nose to make the Flacon canopy fit, or even the kit one for that matter, when I did mine.

Falcon canopy on the left and kit on the right

after a spacer.

Looking forward seeing your progress on this Fred.

Cheers
Jim

March 12th, 2012, 7:48 pm #8

Looking great so far.

Cheers, Vic
for your comments and the superb photos. I am not Brave just adventerous, and to be honest it is still a good kit with some old fashioned TLC.

Fred

March 12th, 2012, 7:49 pm #9

It's a hard kit to get a good result from - you seem to be cracking it though!

Regards,
Adrian
main issue not mentioned was filling the fuselage join. Overall I have been pleasently surprised.

Thanks for your comments

Fred

March 12th, 2012, 7:52 pm #10

Two years ago I bought an Airfix Blenheim - which was already started - the nacelles were already shortened, but that leaves still plenty of other things to do

Amazing the speed with which you tackle all these corrections Fred, my jaw is still on the floor !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
I have the time to do things. Main thing I learnt was to sit and study the kit and what available info I have.

That takes weeks, but it allows me to get on with the job a lot quicker, although I still hit issues.

Get that kit off your shelf and give it a go

Take care

Fred