APTGB......Doolittle Raider B-25........Part 4.....

APTGB......Doolittle Raider B-25........Part 4.....

January 27th, 2012, 2:42 am #1

Firstly, I had put out a request for proper Doolittle decals and was once again rescued by Claus.

So many of our projects here could not be completed were it not for this international great group of guys on this forum. Thank you Claus.

Last post, I had done the major mods and the tail dome was going to stay big as I wasn't up to the task.

I thought about it and looked at it a few days. I wasn't going to get the "Full Monty" if I left it. In for a penny, in for a pound. I dragged out the FROG kit to have a look.

I measured and started scribing a pie shaped piece to remove.

It was important to bring the tail up to the spine, not the top down so I made another cut by the trailing edge of the wing almost touching the first.

I then inserted a thick piece of styrene.

I slathered and sanded up the surgery. Much better looking profile for the Doolittle Raider.

Needed to make a master for the dome.

Puttied and sanded to shape ready to vac. I added the nose, much putty there as well. I removed the heavy framing on the front nose and canopy. I had to blend the forward glazing to the fuselage and then vac-u-formed everyone.

I think one more post showing the front compartment and paint then the finish.

Are there better ways to get this aircraft than back-dating this B-25? Yes. That FROG is damn good, much better than the Airfix, just remove the exhaust stubs and you're there. But it wouldn't count for this GB and I also wanted to show that with enough super glue and putty, anything is possible. I like a challenge now and then but those new tool Spitfires out-of-box are looking nicer all the time...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Last edited by Allan31 on January 27th, 2012, 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2012, 3:24 am #2

You sure can get a lot done in a short time. I am very impressed
with your vac skills.

Kevin in Brown's Point, Washington
Last edited by Kevin60 on January 27th, 2012, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2012, 3:36 am #3

Firstly, I had put out a request for proper Doolittle decals and was once again rescued by Claus.

So many of our projects here could not be completed were it not for this international great group of guys on this forum. Thank you Claus.

Last post, I had done the major mods and the tail dome was going to stay big as I wasn't up to the task.

I thought about it and looked at it a few days. I wasn't going to get the "Full Monty" if I left it. In for a penny, in for a pound. I dragged out the FROG kit to have a look.

It was important to bring the tail up to the spine, not the top down so I made another cut by the trailing edge of the wing almost touching the first.

I slathered and sanded up the surgery. Much better looking profile for the Doolittle Raider.

Puttied and sanded to shape ready to vac. I added the nose, much putty there as well. I removed the heavy framing on the front nose and canopy. I had to blend the forward glazing to the fuselage and then vac-u-formed everyone.

Are there better ways to get this aircraft than back-dating this B-25? Yes. That FROG is damn good, much better than the Airfix, just remove the exhaust stubs and you're there. But it wouldn't count for this GB and I also wanted to show that with enough super glue and putty, anything is possible. I like a challenge now and then but those new tool Spitfires out-of-box are looking nicer all the time...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Hi!
There is(was) another option. The Monogram 1/72nd Snap-Tite B-25. It has a very good shape, and is the early version.

But it has no interior, and the engines could be replaced....

Bruce

January 27th, 2012, 4:06 am #4

Thanks,
Allan

You have on some occasions previously been referred to as Air Vice Marshall (or was that Airfix Vice Marshall?) Buttrick. I would like to suggest a new title: Dr. Allan, the plastic surgeon.

What you have done to that rear fuselage is pretty masterful surgery and work that most people wouldn't even consider.

Wonderful clear parts!

I just hope those decals behave - they are at least 20 years old, look a bit translucent and I must admit I have my doubts as to how they'll behave on an OD surface. I hope they turn out okay.

Looking forward to the paint job and how you handle the overpainted war games markings!

January 27th, 2012, 4:30 am #5

Thanks,
Allan

I was feeling good about putting a wedge in the nose and building up the lower nose of an Airfix Defiant with card and superglue, and fitting a new-tool Spitfire Mk.1 propeller and spinner to it. But you make me feel like a kindergarten kid fooling around with Lego blocks, by comparison, You rock, Dude. Adios. Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

January 27th, 2012, 4:50 am #6

Thanks,
Allan

Hi Allan,

I do admire the work you put in to these venerable old kits! You don't shy from a challenge!

Well done

Simon

January 27th, 2012, 5:06 am #7

Thanks,
Allan

to the slimmer version required by the B.
Well done and looking good so far.

Of course I would of just taken the easy route

CharlieH
www.wildaviation.com

January 27th, 2012, 6:32 am #8

Thanks,
Allan

Plastic hacking at its best, I like that fix, its coming along sweet I can hear that airbrush warming up...

I've got a question abut the nose vac, since its one of those under cut shapes, I'll have the need to do a similar shape in the future and am curious.. Did you vac it, with the master horizontal, or with the nose pointing up?

Thanks

Jim

January 27th, 2012, 10:06 am #9

Thanks,
Allan

I was wondering what you were going to do with the rear end, and its extremely informative to see how to tackle this.

Its been great watching this build come together

Fred

January 27th, 2012, 11:17 am #10

Thanks,
Allan

Cool. Nothing less than cool.
Massimo LaCivita