Apologies if posted before- Sahara P-40, the human element

Apologies if posted before- Sahara P-40, the human element

May 21st, 2012, 6:12 pm #1

May 21st, 2012, 8:50 pm #2

~Mr. BoxShaker
~ Mr. BoxShaker

May 22nd, 2012, 8:20 am #3

I have been following this amazing story when I first heard of it and there are certenly a lot of quesitons to asked such as 1). If this was a flight of two airplanes what happened to the other one 2). It seems the landing gear was exstended as the tail wheel is clearly down and the flaps were also in the exstened postion, however the engine was still running judging by the bent prop blades.. so my question is this..would you not fly until the last drop of fuel was exspended and then land dead stick? why land before you run out of fuel. 3). I will almost put money on were the body of the brave pilot lies, put yourself in his place..no way are you going to walk out to the west, north or south as there is just to much desert out there however EAST is the only real chance as you will eventually run into the Red Sea if not a village before you get to the Red Sea, so in my humble opioion he lies 20 miles or so due east. There are other exsamples of this type of tragic situation i.t. "Lady Be Good" the B-24 Liberator lost in the Libiyan desert. Very interesitng if they find his body, sure hope they do. All the best, cheers.

May 22nd, 2012, 9:13 am #4

The two Kittyhawks left together for another ALG but for some reason the pilot of the discovered a/c set a wrong course and despite attempts by the other pilot to alert the pilot on the wrong course it was to no avail. One a/c landed safely at the correct ALG. The other is thought to be the newly discovered plane.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... 21&page=34

John

May 22nd, 2012, 12:12 pm #5

I have been following this amazing story when I first heard of it and there are certenly a lot of quesitons to asked such as 1). If this was a flight of two airplanes what happened to the other one 2). It seems the landing gear was exstended as the tail wheel is clearly down and the flaps were also in the exstened postion, however the engine was still running judging by the bent prop blades.. so my question is this..would you not fly until the last drop of fuel was exspended and then land dead stick? why land before you run out of fuel. 3). I will almost put money on were the body of the brave pilot lies, put yourself in his place..no way are you going to walk out to the west, north or south as there is just to much desert out there however EAST is the only real chance as you will eventually run into the Red Sea if not a village before you get to the Red Sea, so in my humble opioion he lies 20 miles or so due east. There are other exsamples of this type of tragic situation i.t. "Lady Be Good" the B-24 Liberator lost in the Libiyan desert. Very interesitng if they find his body, sure hope they do. All the best, cheers.
I wonder if the chap took the aircraft's wet compass with him? I don't know that they carried one in their survival gear as we do today but even for me, I always planned on busting that thing loose and taking it with me if I went down in any remote region.
I just watched the movie "The Grey" the other night and it was the first thing I thought as they all trapsed off into the wilderness..."go get the compass out of the cockpit!"
Andrew White