AOKGB Fairey Firefly Part 4

AOKGB Fairey Firefly Part 4

June 11th, 2012, 11:13 am #1

Well its been a dark dreary week in Melbourne and the Australian ModelExpo 2012 has been on the past week days. There were a few familiar models on display and I am sure someone will put up some photos. Sorry, I did not as my photography sucks!

Anyway work still plodding on with the Firefly's and I have got both to the stage of just needing some final cleaning up (especially the Airfix Firefly canopies) before I start masking and priming etc

Airfix Kit:

Finished scribing the wings. Also extended the front portion of the nose by approx 1.5mm.

Fitted the Falcon canopies and attempted to get a close match to the fuselage, I still need to clean up the transparencies after this and some final rub down.

Reworked the undercarriage and fitted nor e prototypical struts. Also too the opportunity to thin the door flaps and add additional detail.

Hobby Special:

Fitted off the aircraft and fitted transparencies, no major work or alterations. I did need to apply sone filler of the wing joins after sanding back the join to get a better fit.

I hope that by the end of the week I should be in the position to start painting the final schemes, the only problem I am still unsure what they may be. the Airfix will be an FR.4 and the Hobby Special an FR.5

Let us see what transpires

Thanks

Fred

June 11th, 2012, 11:36 am #2

That looks like it was hours of fun! Those are going to look great.

June 11th, 2012, 1:04 pm #3

Well its been a dark dreary week in Melbourne and the Australian ModelExpo 2012 has been on the past week days. There were a few familiar models on display and I am sure someone will put up some photos. Sorry, I did not as my photography sucks!

Anyway work still plodding on with the Firefly's and I have got both to the stage of just needing some final cleaning up (especially the Airfix Firefly canopies) before I start masking and priming etc

Airfix Kit:

Finished scribing the wings. Also extended the front portion of the nose by approx 1.5mm.

Fitted the Falcon canopies and attempted to get a close match to the fuselage, I still need to clean up the transparencies after this and some final rub down.

Reworked the undercarriage and fitted nor e prototypical struts. Also too the opportunity to thin the door flaps and add additional detail.

Hobby Special:

Fitted off the aircraft and fitted transparencies, no major work or alterations. I did need to apply sone filler of the wing joins after sanding back the join to get a better fit.

I hope that by the end of the week I should be in the position to start painting the final schemes, the only problem I am still unsure what they may be. the Airfix will be an FR.4 and the Hobby Special an FR.5

Thanks

Fred
At this stage your Airfix Firefly looks like it has been parked in the Libyan desert for the last 60-odd years. I am sure it will look quite spiffy in due course. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 11th, 2012, 3:18 pm #4

that "weathering" is superb, if you wanted to depict a REALLY battle weary aircraft

June 11th, 2012, 8:54 pm #5

Airfix Kit:

Hobby Special:

Thanks

Fred
The way you sail through these builds is amazing - both look great, looking forward to the paint scheme choices

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 12th, 2012, 12:00 am #6

Airfix Kit:

Hobby Special:

Thanks

Fred
Rolling along nicely............nt

June 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm #7

Airfix Kit:

Hobby Special:

Thanks

Fred
I will start mine this week after a bit more work on the Staaken. I have also been messing around with a 1/32nd Buffalo which is much different than my normal model...

Your Fireflys are giving us all lots to cheer about. Excellent.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

June 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm #8

Airfix Kit:

Hobby Special:

Thanks

Fred
Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

June 13th, 2012, 4:50 am #9

Airfix Kit:

Hobby Special:

Thanks

Fred
The Airfix one has escaped the Libyan sandstorm and looks a lot better primed