AOKGB Fairey Firefly Finished and other

AOKGB Fairey Firefly Finished and other

June 26th, 2012, 11:09 am #1

Airfix Firefly FR4 - TW730/231 - 816 Squadron RAN, Eglinton UK, 1948
The kit has had some work done on it particularly as I wanted to replace the cockpit and observer canopy and add some detail.
Basically the overall kit is just slight under scale and the fuselage slightly too narrow. Whilst the latter is OK for the kits transparencies it required work to fit a Falcon canopy. The opportunity was also take to add a bit more detail Overall the work comprised
- Increase the length at the nose by approx 1.5mm
- Deepen the underside of the nose by approx 1.5mm
- Increase the width of the fuselage tapering from the nose to tail between 0-2mm at the fuselage and back to 0 at the tail
- Increase the wing chord by 2mm at the center section of the trailing edge
- Build an interior for the pilot and the observer
- Add detail to the wheel wells
- Sand and do a basic re-scribe
- Replace the observer canopy with one from Falcon and the pilot one came c/- a SH Firefly

After filling and sanding I hand painted the kit using Model Master Sky Type S, with Polly Scale Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey.

Decals came c/- of the spares box or various sets of Xtradecals for the roundels or the printer DIY.

Thanks to Danielle for the reference material she made available to the build

Special Hobby Firefly AS6 - WJ111/255/J - 814 Squadron FAA, HMS Eagle, 1952
OK it wears the above markings only due to a disaster with the decals and it should have been an FR5, WB342, HMS Glory, and could not be bothered to remove the guns etc .
Its the basic Special Hobby kit, OOB nothing special done to it than the decals.
I will say that after building the two kits I think the Airfix one, despite the additional work was the more enjoyable of the two.

The rest of the Painting and Decaling Party
I have been building up a stock of FAA aircraft, which started during the Pacific GB and never got around to painting them and finishing them. Working on the Firefly seemed to be a perfect time to rectify this so when hand painting started on the Fireflys I also did these three stragglers. So here they are

Jays Seafire 47, VP461/178/P 800 Squadron FAA, HMS Triumph, 1950
Not a kit for a beginner, but certainly nice external details. Limited run plastic kit the one I had suffered some poor moulding which resulted in some external dimples. Went together reasonably well but required a reasonable amount of filler. Replaced the prop blades with some from the Airfix PR XIX, and the wheel doors from a Xtrakit Spitfire 22. Decals as per the kit. Rocket and rails from the spares box. Overall an interesting build, just be prepared for the sanding and filing down.

Trumpeter Hawker Sea Fury FB11 WE683/109/ST - 1831 Squadron FAA, RNAS Stretton, 1953

This originally started off as an Airfix Sea Fury, but after a few hours I was not happy with the overall appearance, particularly the wheel wells. So it was sent to the spares and replaced by the Trumpeter kit.

Basically OOB, nice kit not many issues, kit decals. Just noticed still need to paint the exhaust panel DOH!

Hobby Boss Wildcat IV FN146/09-L - 893 Squadron FAA, Algeria, 1943

I have looked the 1/72 Hobby Boss kits on the shelves for some time and wondered what they were like. I was quite surprised when I opened the box and saw the solid lumps that lay inside. But the details seemed Ok and I decide what the heck, and built it. Very quick build some minor filling and sanding but a pleasant surprise. Decals from Xtradecals Yanks with Roundels Part 1

So a rather busy few months on these kits, and whilst waiting for the paint to dry I have satrted on an Airfix Fairey Fulmar

Thanks

Fred

Last edited by fredcoulson on June 26th, 2012, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 12:18 pm #2

recovery on the Airfix Firefly - I am doing the same with mine, except I am doing a Mk4 and a U8.

June 26th, 2012, 3:11 pm #3

The kit has had some work done on it particularly as I wanted to replace the cockpit and observer canopy and add some detail.
Basically the overall kit is just slight under scale and the fuselage slightly too narrow. Whilst the latter is OK for the kits transparencies it required work to fit a Falcon canopy. The opportunity was also take to add a bit more detail Overall the work comprised
- Increase the width of the fuselage tapering from the nose to tail between 0-2mm at the fuselage and back to 0 at the tail
- Replace the observer canopy with one from Falcon and the pilot one came c/- a SH Firefly

After filling and sanding I hand painted the kit using Model Master Sky Type S, with Polly Scale Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey.

Decals came c/- of the spares box or various sets of Xtradecals for the roundels or the printer DIY.

OK it wears the above markings only due to a disaster with the decals and it should have been an FR5, WB342, HMS Glory, and could not be bothered to remove the guns etc .
Its the basic Special Hobby kit, OOB nothing special done to it than the decals.
I will say that after building the two kits I think the Airfix one, despite the additional work was the more enjoyable of the two.

I have been building up a stock of FAA aircraft, which started during the Pacific GB and never got around to painting them and finishing them. Working on the Firefly seemed to be a perfect time to rectify this so when hand painting started on the Fireflys I also did these three stragglers. So here they are

Not a kit for a beginner, but certainly nice external details. Limited run plastic kit the one I had suffered some poor moulding which resulted in some external dimples. Went together reasonably well but required a reasonable amount of filler. Replaced the prop blades with some from the Airfix PR XIX, and the wheel doors from a Xtrakit Spitfire 22. Decals as per the kit. Rocket and rails from the spares box. Overall an interesting build, just be prepared for the sanding and filing down.

Trumpeter Hawker Sea Fury FB11 WE683/109/ST - 1831 Squadron FAA, RNAS Stretton, 1953

This originally started off as an Airfix Sea Fury, but after a few hours I was not happy with the overall appearance, particularly the wheel wells. So it was sent to the spares and replaced by the Trumpeter kit.

Basically OOB, nice kit not many issues, kit decals. Just noticed still need to paint the exhaust panel DOH!

I have looked the 1/72 Hobby Boss kits on the shelves for some time and wondered what they were like. I was quite surprised when I opened the box and saw the solid lumps that lay inside. But the details seemed Ok and I decide what the heck, and built it. Very quick build some minor filling and sanding but a pleasant surprise. Decals from Xtradecals Yanks with Roundels Part 1

So a rather busy few months on these kits, and whilst waiting for the paint to dry I have satrted on an Airfix Fairey Fulmar

Thanks

Fred

...on the Firefly [on ALL of those models, actually]. Looks real sharp to this fan of models from post-WW2/non-Korean War era,
BRAVO!
--Bill

June 26th, 2012, 4:33 pm #4

Thanks

Fred

What a great finish and it looks great next to the rest of the collection. Great color scheme too.

Seems like both kits have a bit to be proud of!

Cheers.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

June 26th, 2012, 6:50 pm #5

Thanks

Fred

Lovely looking Firefly- with the corrections you made bulking up the airframe, you have really captured the look of the Firefly as the elegant bruiser that it is! The yellow rudder really adds to the scheme too! And well done for completing all the also-rans to get the workbench nice and tidy for the next load of things!

June 26th, 2012, 6:59 pm #6

Thanks

Fred

Very nice work and beautiful flight line!
Daniele

June 27th, 2012, 2:47 am #7

Thanks

Fred

Wonderful Fireflys. I would love to fill up an entire shelf with the FAA a/c. I really like the scheme with the white sides on the fuselage.

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

June 27th, 2012, 3:38 pm #8

Thanks

Fred

A great looking bunch of FAA builds there. Love the Seafire Fr 47, but those Fireflies look fantastic! Keep em coming!

Regards;
Steve

June 27th, 2012, 10:24 pm #9

Thanks

Fred

I am trying to build an example of each FAA carrier based Fleet fighter, and this was a nice chunk out of that. I have collected most of them just waiting to get a pre war Hawker Nimrod and a DH Sea Hornet to the stash. In the meantime still some 15 to build!

Thanks

Fred

June 28th, 2012, 11:37 pm #10

Thanks

Fred

..how on earth you manage to do so many models so well is beyond me. You must have 3 weetabix every day or get up and put the pants on outside the trousers to acheive this superhuman output.

Truly inspirational as always, and I really love the way the colours complement the Dark sea grey and sky so well.

Looking to forward to seeing what you do with the Fulmar - I got no 1 son one of them as a present for christmas, and then acquired a SMER boxing myself as it looked so nice. I'm trying to persuade him to do a "race" build with me on them so that we both finish something soon, and actually have something to show.

Fantastic Fireflies Fred, and thanks for sharing these builds with us, it has been enlightening for me certainly.

Cheers,

Eddie