AOKGB: A "civilian" Hurricane, part IV Finnished(!)

AOKGB: A "civilian" Hurricane, part IV Finnished(!)

May 9th, 2012, 2:41 am #1

Ok so I managed to finish it with almost two hours to the deadline. Can't say this last bit of the process was enjoyable. Too little time and too many problems - all of them of my own doing for rushing it.

First coat of dark earth:

After DE the part I really hate the most: Masking. But I didn't trust my unsteady hands to do a decent freehand job of it. Painting the DG went well, but then things started to go wrong. Foolishly I hadn't primed the plastic before spraying the acryllics (Xtracryllics), but I had degreased it with alcohol. I removed the masking very carefully, but the paint lifted.

Sorry about the poor pic, but it does illustrate the disaster quite well despite the crappy quality. I didn't want to mask again and risk the same thing happening a second time, so it was out with the paintbrush and three-four coats to cover the disaster.

While the paint was drying between coats I painted the u/c doors. One white, one black. Managed to paint the one that should have been black with white and vice versa. After much swearing and a strong beer I put that right. I was almost ready to give up on this one at that time.

But I kept going. After arriving at a (given the circumstances) decent finish it was time for decals.

The InScale sheet provides stencils, serial no. and civil registration. Cutting the white discs from a solid colour Microscale sheet was a simple task using an Olfa cutter. Decals were excellent - no problems there.

All that remained was adding all the final bits: u/c, prop, canopy (with painted decal framing), exhausts.

I wish I could say I'm happy with the result. I'm not. I wish I could say it was an enjoyable process. Through most of it, it was not. A lot of the fun disappears as you make mistakes due to rushing things, and cutting corners because you are in a hurry and not paying the attention to detail that you really want to, is rather frustrating. Had I not had a deadline, I would have stripped the paint off and given it a second try rather than just doing a repair paint job. I would also have added more detail and applied swastika national markings and covered these with a thin layer of white, so that they were just visible - it was just whitewash over the national markings for the ferry flight, and I would expect that to wear off a bit en route.

Did I learn new skills from building this one? Nope. But I have learnt of a couple of things not to do, the main one being not doing a build with a tight deadline.
Last edited by Claus Dam on May 9th, 2012, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 3:46 am #2

That's pretty special Claus - interesting build and scheme. n/t

May 9th, 2012, 1:15 pm #3

Ok so I managed to finish it with almost two hours to the deadline. Can't say this last bit of the process was enjoyable. Too little time and too many problems - all of them of my own doing for rushing it.

After DE the part I really hate the most: Masking. But I didn't trust my unsteady hands to do a decent freehand job of it. Painting the DG went well, but then things started to go wrong. Foolishly I hadn't primed the plastic before spraying the acryllics (Xtracryllics), but I had degreased it with alcohol. I removed the masking very carefully, but the paint lifted.

Sorry about the poor pic, but it does illustrate the disaster quite well despite the crappy quality. I didn't want to mask again and risk the same thing happening a second time, so it was out with the paintbrush and three-four coats to cover the disaster.

While the paint was drying between coats I painted the u/c doors. One white, one black. Managed to paint the one that should have been black with white and vice versa. After much swearing and a strong beer I put that right. I was almost ready to give up on this one at that time.

But I kept going. After arriving at a (given the circumstances) decent finish it was time for decals.

The InScale sheet provides stencils, serial no. and civil registration. Cutting the white discs from a solid colour Microscale sheet was a simple task using an Olfa cutter. Decals were excellent - no problems there.

All that remained was adding all the final bits: u/c, prop, canopy (with painted decal framing), exhausts.

I wish I could say I'm happy with the result. I'm not. I wish I could say it was an enjoyable process. Through most of it, it was not. A lot of the fun disappears as you make mistakes due to rushing things, and cutting corners because you are in a hurry and not paying the attention to detail that you really want to, is rather frustrating. Had I not had a deadline, I would have stripped the paint off and given it a second try rather than just doing a repair paint job. I would also have added more detail and applied swastika national markings and covered these with a thin layer of white, so that they were just visible - it was just whitewash over the national markings for the ferry flight, and I would expect that to wear off a bit en route.

Did I learn new skills from building this one? Nope. But I have learnt of a couple of things not to do, the main one being not doing a build with a tight deadline.

Regards,
Adrian

May 9th, 2012, 4:15 pm #4

Wouldn't it be cool to fly to your villa with that as your personal transport...!!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

May 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm #5

And most importantly : you finished it - still great work, love the thin canopy frames - paint looks good too

And I'm happy I can include you in the Big Post (hope to finish that today)

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /end (incl. Model Force 2012 show report)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 9th, 2012, 9:24 pm #6

Well, with the finish time some hours away now, I feel happier happier about it it. I think I'll do some work on it at a later date. I intend to remove the canopy (only fixed with white glue and sitting a bit high anyway) and cut it to be displayed in the open position. I also didn't get around to do all the stencil markings - they'll need to be added.

I don't mind a quick build as such - as long as it is an OOB project!

May 10th, 2012, 12:51 am #7

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

May 11th, 2012, 10:03 am #8

Cheers

Ami from Finland

May 11th, 2012, 8:12 pm #9

Much appreciated. Have you by any chance in Finnish publications seen photos of this one with the civil registrations? I have managed to find a few Hurricane pics with the hakaristi overpainted, but nothing to confirm that the OH registrations were actually added. I'm not really questioning the accuracy of the decals, as I know InScale puts a lot of effort into their research, but I just have not been able to find any photos.