Anyone remember???

Anyone remember???

April 1st, 2012, 5:36 pm #1

Just thinking of past times when Mike Dunlap came into my mind. Now I know some think he was a twister and a buddun but he was the one that got me to use the internet as a modelling tool.I seem to remember a group of modellers who were dubbed the Plastic posse and I was wondering what happend to them. Did they just fade away like Mike did or are they lerking in the shadows ready to join up again and create a mini plastic stats of America or a common plastic market of old? Yes I was one of those who never thought "oh I cannot send that to where ev,the parcel was wrapped up and sent of to various parts of the world. We used to chat on MSN about all things modelling or what was the best beer ,who was the best heavy metal group ,come on you know who you were!! Anyway just wondering what happened. Please dont post if you are going to slag Mike off He anit here, so its no good venting your spleen.I know he pulled some fast ones but he was always a pal to me here in the good old UK. Thanks, Alfie

April 1st, 2012, 5:49 pm #2

nt

April 1st, 2012, 6:03 pm #3

Yes he did

April 1st, 2012, 7:49 pm #4

Just thinking of past times when Mike Dunlap came into my mind. Now I know some think he was a twister and a buddun but he was the one that got me to use the internet as a modelling tool.I seem to remember a group of modellers who were dubbed the Plastic posse and I was wondering what happend to them. Did they just fade away like Mike did or are they lerking in the shadows ready to join up again and create a mini plastic stats of America or a common plastic market of old? Yes I was one of those who never thought "oh I cannot send that to where ev,the parcel was wrapped up and sent of to various parts of the world. We used to chat on MSN about all things modelling or what was the best beer ,who was the best heavy metal group ,come on you know who you were!! Anyway just wondering what happened. Please dont post if you are going to slag Mike off He anit here, so its no good venting your spleen.I know he pulled some fast ones but he was always a pal to me here in the good old UK. Thanks, Alfie
http://www.network54.com/Forum/232726/t ... e+returned+(with+an+apology).

Personally, to this day, I avoid entering into online dialogs with those names I remember who supported his bad behavior.

RobG

April 1st, 2012, 9:15 pm #5

As i staed in my first post I do not defend his actions, I know he really pee'd people off,but as my mum used to say speak as you find. I found him ok with me. I digress it was people who were part of a group who helped others find what they wanted at the time no money changed hand, kits were swapped and friendships made. Just wondering what happened to them. I myself now have failling eyesite and contend to just collect kits out of habit ,"one day when I fianaly retire I'll build them all". Nope, not enough time, but they are a part of my past and I can remeber where and from whom I got them. I seem to remember there were lots of us trading around the world,now some may not remember or have passed away simply given up the hobby and sit and watch the rain run down the window. Ah what it was to be young. Enough. Alfie

April 1st, 2012, 11:09 pm #6

I liked him, but I was also hard on him. He did create a lot of trouble for himself, and whoever hacked his page did it in such a way that annihilated a lot of the cred he'd built up as a trader. I chatted with him in Aug 07, he offered me some of his kits, I said sure what did he want for them, nothing he said, he was clearing them out. They never arrived and I figured he'd passed.

I recall someone posting a photo of him in the lounge, guys were joking about what a skinny pathetic looking creep he appeared to be. My answer was that that was what someone looks like when they survive cancer, so maybe he wasn't so pathetic after all. It got nasty after that of course and the thread was deleted.

April 2nd, 2012, 12:42 pm #7

As i staed in my first post I do not defend his actions, I know he really pee'd people off,but as my mum used to say speak as you find. I found him ok with me. I digress it was people who were part of a group who helped others find what they wanted at the time no money changed hand, kits were swapped and friendships made. Just wondering what happened to them. I myself now have failling eyesite and contend to just collect kits out of habit ,"one day when I fianaly retire I'll build them all". Nope, not enough time, but they are a part of my past and I can remeber where and from whom I got them. I seem to remember there were lots of us trading around the world,now some may not remember or have passed away simply given up the hobby and sit and watch the rain run down the window. Ah what it was to be young. Enough. Alfie
I knew the name and the conflicts surrounding him on various websites, but never had any interactions with him until Armorama started in late December 2001. I believe he joined after the beginning of 2002. At the time, that site had a chat function in which you could see another member online and invite them to the chat room.

He sent me a chat invite and unfortunately for me, I accepted it.

I normally build 1/72 scale armor and he asked my opinion on what sort of Soviet armor I would like to see in that scale. He was offering me ACE model kits in return for just my opinion. Within about a minute of me saying hello and listing a couple former Warsaw pact armor pieces, he went off calling me all sorts of names and questioning my intelligence. I logged off the chat room when he asked me if my parents had any children who lived. The entire exchange took maybe two minutes.

Later that evening, the AOL email I created to join Armorama in December (which was virtually unused) got filled up with a number of hate mails and some with innocent sounding modeling related subject titles that had imbedded viruses. Within days the number of emails was in the triple digits and I deleted the address.

I had the foresight to take a screen shot of the chat log and forwarded it to the webmaster. He was banned within a day or so.

That's how I found him, that's how I left him, that's how I'll remember him.

I've spent nearly 30 years of my life in uniform. I've dealt with all sorts of personalities. I'd never wish ill will upon anyone, but there are several folks I'd never include in my prayers. I didn't put them on this list, they put themselves on this list.

RobG

April 2nd, 2012, 1:15 pm #8

Questioning why you have the right to breath.
I had the same ACE questionair and he sent me my first ACE kit. For that I thank him.
I wrote to Alexis who owns ACE and Alexis said "Oh him, nothing to do with me". Strange that?

I had no run-ins with him but I could read in his post to other HS's that he didn't like some with a vengence and the sentiment was returned in full.

All in all I was relieved when he stopped posting. The tension level dropped back to nil.
Unfortunately there are others who have happilly picked up his batten and run with it.

Dale. yes, I remember Mike.
Queensland.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:57 pm #9

April 2nd, 2012, 8:39 pm #10

Like many, he tried to buy my support as well. I had seen how he operated, and tried to steer clear. Like a moth to a flame, I got pulled in anyway. I also posted on his board, and for some reason, he thought my name was something is wasn't (which, all things considered, is fine, when people like Mike were involved). A g/f at the time mentioned that his rants and raves and complete 180's were textbook signs for bi-polar. I think that was one of more than a few thing he dealt with.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"