Anyone know why the aftermkt pe guys use the silver metal....

Anyone know why the aftermkt pe guys use the silver metal....

March 24th, 2012, 9:35 pm #1

sheets instead of brass? Seems more are produced using the silver sheets than brass nowadays. What is the silver metal, seems softer than stainless? It's harder to bend than the brass from the early days of pe. Haven't needed to yet but does it anneal as nice as brass?

Perhaps the acid resist used in pe production bonds better to the surface of the silver sheets? And too the pre-color paint/ink now featured on so many pe sheets?

I've also noticed that some of the gold colored sheets now don't seem to be brass. A mix, instead of pure brass, to save money or perhaps improve its workability or use by the pe producer?

Just wondering.

March 24th, 2012, 9:54 pm #2

It's cheap and easy to cast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal

March 24th, 2012, 11:19 pm #3

sheets instead of brass? Seems more are produced using the silver sheets than brass nowadays. What is the silver metal, seems softer than stainless? It's harder to bend than the brass from the early days of pe. Haven't needed to yet but does it anneal as nice as brass?

Perhaps the acid resist used in pe production bonds better to the surface of the silver sheets? And too the pre-color paint/ink now featured on so many pe sheets?

I've also noticed that some of the gold colored sheets now don't seem to be brass. A mix, instead of pure brass, to save money or perhaps improve its workability or use by the pe producer?

Just wondering.
The metal Eduard sheets are made from is some sort of brass sheet that has another metal either layered or plated over top of it, if you sand it down a little you'll expose the brass core. Some of their newer armor PE sets are now plain yellow brass, they were using the same silver metal for all their stuff for years. I don't know what the silver metal is, it might be nickel silver, which is just a variation of brass containing nickel (brass is an alloy of copper and zinc - there's no such thing as "pure brass, they're all just some sort of copper alloy, though changing the percentage of copper and zinc or adding other trace elements will change its properties and workability).

March 24th, 2012, 11:50 pm #4

come across the brass and shiny silver colored stuff. I fig'd the silver stuff was steel w/ plating to get the shiny appearance. I'll get out some of the silver pe and try to sand off the coating. Thought the sheet was all silver colored metal, not plated/coated silver over brass. Will also anneal some of the silver (a piece of the border fret) and see if it anneals and if the coating burns off.

I paint 99% of the pe I use so I'd prefer raw uncoated brass. Shiny nameplates/scripts for car models being the 1% exception.

March 25th, 2012, 12:26 am #5

Though I haven't come across any personally. Eduard produces a lot of the PE out there, both for their own brand and other contract work (Aires, CMK, Special Hobby, MPM, and tons more) and they almost always are that same plated brass. I don't know what the plating is, could be nickel*. Look closely when you cut a piece of Eduard-made PE, you'll see the brass edge. You don't have to sand very much, it comes right off. I always sand it off if I'm soldering it, as the solder doesn't stick as well. I think that's why they've gone back to regular brass for their armor stuff, those guys are more likely to solder things like fenders and stuff like that, whereas aircraft modelers are more likely to leave certain things un painted, like seat belt hardware.

*Yes, according to Eduard it's nickel-plated brass.

March 25th, 2012, 1:04 am #6

I have some old (80s?) Eduard pe and yes it does look a bit grotty, stained from washing off the acid, etc, but I don't care. It's gonna get sanded, handled and painted anyway.

Shiny, clean lookin', prob does sell better than dull and stained!

March 25th, 2012, 10:44 pm #7

It's cheap and easy to cast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal
Sorry Pete,

it certainly isn't white metal, which is far too soft and malleable to use for etched parts.

What you see is nickel plated brass usually, perhaps sometimes nickel plated copper

Shane