Anyone know if the Russians used mine rollers in Berlin?

Anyone know if the Russians used mine rollers in Berlin?

October 27th, 2011, 5:20 am #1

Had a PT-34 project in mind but I'm finding little info on. I would like to put a mine roller on a T-34/85 with Berlin invasion markings and bedspring armor on however I cannot locate any information documenting wether or not they were used. I would assume that they (the Russians) would have used them at some point on the road in but really would like some sort of proof since this will be a contest project. I intend to use the old Kirin mine roller kit on a Dragon T-34 with a full blown interior and really don't want to get "dinged" by a judge for being historiclly inaccurate.

Thanks

Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

October 27th, 2011, 5:34 am #2

It looks like I've found a WWII T-34/76 with a PT-3 mine roller... can't say about the 85s though.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/ussr/tanks- ... -34-85.asp

Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

October 27th, 2011, 5:36 am #3

It is a T-34/85

October 27th, 2011, 12:22 pm #4

Had a PT-34 project in mind but I'm finding little info on. I would like to put a mine roller on a T-34/85 with Berlin invasion markings and bedspring armor on however I cannot locate any information documenting wether or not they were used. I would assume that they (the Russians) would have used them at some point on the road in but really would like some sort of proof since this will be a contest project. I intend to use the old Kirin mine roller kit on a Dragon T-34 with a full blown interior and really don't want to get "dinged" by a judge for being historiclly inaccurate.

Thanks
Not sure how effective (or cumbersome) the mine roller would be in downtown urban Berlin. The bedframe armor is also rather specific... not sure a combat engineer tank would have had that either.

October 27th, 2011, 2:26 pm #5

It looks like I've found a WWII T-34/76 with a PT-3 mine roller... can't say about the 85s though.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/ussr/tanks- ... -34-85.asp
I haven't seen too many photos of the T-34/85 as a mine roller.

If you want to do the model in Berlin, I suspect the T-34/76 would be more appropriate.

As to contests, check this link out:

http://www.bluegrayrenegades.org/blueri ... hotos.html

Scott Gentry
Last edited by didiumus on October 27th, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2011, 7:05 pm #6

Thanks
definately in the initial attack such as Seelow. Once the Soviets broke through the initial German defenses, the German fell back so quickly that they really didn't have time to lay effective mine fields thus the Soviets really had no need for them at that point.

Roy
Last edited by schlichtr on October 27th, 2011, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy the Bull
Jimmy the Bull

October 28th, 2011, 2:59 am #7

Awsome info guys, thanks for the help. Now that I think of it the T-34/76 makes more sence as an engineering vehicle. Does anyone know at what point the Russians decided to apply the bed spring armor? Was that something done earlier in the war or was it more exclusive to just units moving on Berlin?