Anyone have a pic or drawing of what's left AFTER P-51 drops its tanks?

Anyone have a pic or drawing of what's left AFTER P-51 drops its tanks?

March 12th, 2012, 4:11 pm #1

Specifically the larger 110-gallon metal tanks, but I'll take any that I can get. 

A good drawing and explanation of what would still be hanging off the plane would be a big help as well. 

TIA,

Brett

March 12th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

Sorry... Couldnt resist!

March 12th, 2012, 6:52 pm #3

Specifically the larger 110-gallon metal tanks, but I'll take any that I can get. 

A good drawing and explanation of what would still be hanging off the plane would be a big help as well. 

TIA,

Brett
This link was posted a while ago and has a bunch of photos. There are a number of them that you can figure are post-mission.
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.c ... =23&t=1690

FWIW, I'd say just the pylon would be left. Piping and all went with the tank.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

March 12th, 2012, 7:41 pm #4

...but who knows if they're pre or post mission?  What I'm trying to figure out is if anything is left sticking out of the wing, it looks like everything comes off clean.  I know they used glass tubing sections that would break away when the tank was dropped, but most photos, especially late-war, show rubber hose. 

March 12th, 2012, 8:07 pm #5

There's a couple with a group of troops hanging about the plane with the pilot still in there and no tanks attached. I didn't see anything hanging down. If you think about it, why would there be any attachments left? Would the powers that be want some loose piping banging around at 350-400 mph after the tank was dropped?

March 12th, 2012, 9:54 pm #6

This link was posted a while ago and has a bunch of photos. There are a number of them that you can figure are post-mission.
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.c ... =23&t=1690

FWIW, I'd say just the pylon would be left. Piping and all went with the tank.

for those who don't want to fill and sand their P-51 wings.

PR

March 12th, 2012, 11:28 pm #7

...but who knows if they're pre or post mission?  What I'm trying to figure out is if anything is left sticking out of the wing, it looks like everything comes off clean.  I know they used glass tubing sections that would break away when the tank was dropped, but most photos, especially late-war, show rubber hose. 
I noticed that there are "plates" attached to either side of the pylon that apparently stay with the tank. Never seen these modeled but they could have been. I believe everything pulls clean of the aircraft when the tanks are let go.

Saw what looked like a PV-1 or -2 in one of the shots as well as a couple of Privateers.

Thanks for posting.

MB

March 13th, 2012, 12:33 am #8

I believe they were just used with the 110 gallon tanks.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

March 13th, 2012, 1:58 am #9

TIA,

Brett
It would look like it did before the tanks were even hung on the plane, just the bomb rack. The fuel lines from the tanks entered the wing just in front of the rack through an opening setup for quick disconnect. The scan below is from the P-51A parts book, but the same basic system applies to all the models; the lines that receive the fuel from the drop tanks are numbered 23 and 15 in the diagram:

The photo below shows the location of the fuel line opening in question. This is on Jack Roush's B model, which has operable drop tanks:

March 13th, 2012, 2:43 am #10

I believe they were just used with the 110 gallon tanks.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

These show the factory finish.
Dirty, yes, and maybe the putty shrank a little in some places but that's not a bare wing.

This was meant as an answer to Peter Roberts.

Christian A.

Last edited by Tourist-51 on March 13th, 2012, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christian A.