Anyone have a build pic/review of Monogram 1-piece hull USS United States or Constitution?

Anyone have a build pic/review of Monogram 1-piece hull USS United States or Constitution?

Skip
Skip

May 20th, 2011, 6:40 pm #1

Anyone have a build pic/review of the Monogram 1-piece hull kit of the USS United States or Constitution? Have the giant Revell 1/96 and smaller 1/196 Connies, but can't find squat on the Monogram kits with the 1-piece hulls.

rpmooberry
rpmooberry

May 20th, 2011, 10:16 pm #2

Sorry what are Connies ?
rmoob98209@aol.com

May 20th, 2011, 11:12 pm #3

Anyone have a build pic/review of the Monogram 1-piece hull kit of the USS United States or Constitution? Have the giant Revell 1/96 and smaller 1/196 Connies, but can't find squat on the Monogram kits with the 1-piece hulls.
Hi,
I've hade the kit for years, which depicts the ship as it appeared after the 1920 rebuild (solid head, etc.) A very nice representation, if not simplified in some of the details. Worth getting.
Mike

Skip
Skip

May 21st, 2011, 1:34 am #4

Thanks Mike for the reply!

I understand this is Monogram kit is smaller than the 1955 Revell 1/196th "Old Ironsides" that appears to be regular stock at HobbyLobbys. That said;

You wouldn't by chance have any pics of this Monogram version with the 1-pce hull?

Or maybe some questions please;

Are the gun ports open for the gun deck?
If so; are there at least representative guns - like the Revell 1/196th version?

Does it have an open main hatch on the spar deck, or is it molded closed like the 1/196th kit?

Vacuform sales?

Thanks tons in advance! I can't find photo evidence of this Monogram kit anywhere on the net!

May 21st, 2011, 2:26 pm #5

One piece hull...

http://www.ehobbies.com/rvl05406.html

Its not rare I had it in my shop when I closed.

Skip
Skip

May 23rd, 2011, 2:29 am #6

Mail-ordered a USF Connie with the "1-piece hull"; can't be any worse than the Lindberg baby Constitution kit. We'll see for sure soon...

May 23rd, 2011, 7:19 pm #7

Sorry what are Connies ?
rmoob98209@aol.com
The big Ameican 44s are often colloqially called "Constitution-class," or "Connies," after the class' most famous member. However, that's inaccurate as the United States was actually the first 44 to hit the water, so they really should be called the "United States-class."

Further confusing the issue is that the USS Constellation, the carrier, was often called the Connie, and there was a 38 gun frigate by the same name also launched in 1797.

Sorry for being pedantic, but that's the long and the short of it.

Bob

Skip
Skip

May 29th, 2011, 7:22 am #8

Are molded in the USA and appear to be original Monograms and not someone else's kit - ie; not baby Imai kits. It is a nicely molded kit.

The main spar deck is similar to the 1955 Revell 1/196th kits in that the main hatch is molded closed. The kit has molded gun-deck pieces that attach to the inside walls of the hull for the cannon barrels to stick thru. All gun doors are molded fully open and are the "split type". The bow has the simple design of the 1812 Connie - as opposed to the Andrew Jackson on the Revell 1/196th kit.

And for those wondering, it is indeed smaller than the 1/196th kits.

June 27th, 2011, 4:41 am #9

The big Ameican 44s are often colloqially called "Constitution-class," or "Connies," after the class' most famous member. However, that's inaccurate as the United States was actually the first 44 to hit the water, so they really should be called the "United States-class."

Further confusing the issue is that the USS Constellation, the carrier, was often called the Connie, and there was a 38 gun frigate by the same name also launched in 1797.

Sorry for being pedantic, but that's the long and the short of it.

Bob
So named for Joshua Humphreys, the guy who's innovative design became the first six frigates in the US Navy. So much so that the Brits copied and incorperated design features when they captured the USS President.

Ken