Anyone else missing the Great Models web site?

Anyone else missing the Great Models web site?

April 28th, 2012, 9:16 pm #1

What I will miss is the weekly newsletter and the up to date showing of kits and other things that are relesed.
And their prices.
I know that some people have had problems with Great Models,but I did not.
I liked there tracking and shipping,along with the access to your account information.

I buy from Sprue Brothers(but Do not like the SLOW speed of their site,and little info on whats new and comming.otherwise they are ok)hope they might copy some of what Great Models had on their web page.

I buy from Squadron also.

But will have to wait and see what the prices will end up being now that one of the big guys has been bought out by one of the other Big Three. Now there is two,so we will see what happens.

IMHO all in all Great Models was the best of all of the web based sites.And no one comes close in the website and the information that it offered its customers.

One good effect will be that I will not be spending the amount of money that I have in the past on models.It was soo easy to use their site and see what was comming out next in all types of models.

Guess that it is time to just go to the vast model shop that I have here in the house instead of buying.Come to think of it in real terms,it was great that they did sell to a company with a slow and non friendly site.

It was time to start building from the hundreds of kits in stock here in the house.My late wife is smilling down upon me right now. And I can here her saying"why are you buying another model when you have all of those kits already dear?"

Keith

April 28th, 2012, 9:20 pm #2

I too had no issues.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

April 28th, 2012, 9:26 pm #3

What I will miss is the weekly newsletter and the up to date showing of kits and other things that are relesed.
And their prices.
I liked there tracking and shipping,along with the access to your account information.

I buy from Sprue Brothers(but Do not like the SLOW speed of their site,and little info on whats new and comming.otherwise they are ok)hope they might copy some of what Great Models had on their web page.

But will have to wait and see what the prices will end up being now that one of the big guys has been bought out by one of the other Big Three. Now there is two,so we will see what happens.

IMHO all in all Great Models was the best of all of the web based sites.And no one comes close in the website and the information that it offered its customers.

One good effect will be that I will not be spending the amount of money that I have in the past on models.It was soo easy to use their site and see what was comming out next in all types of models.

Guess that it is time to just go to the vast model shop that I have here in the house instead of buying.Come to think of it in real terms,it was great that they did sell to a company with a slow and non friendly site.

It was time to start building from the hundreds of kits in stock here in the house.My late wife is smilling down upon me right now. And I can here her saying"why are you buying another model when you have all of those kits already dear?"

Keith
they were a little slow for a while, but OK if you were'nt in a huge hurry. Later on they sped up great-you know, to COMPETE with the other guys. Now the competiotion is gone-we'll see.

April 28th, 2012, 11:14 pm #4

in immediate need of it. The last order I placed with them back in 2009 took 6 months to fill completely. I had the order shipped to my (then current) place of employment.. Well I lost that job and they were STILL shipping parts of the orders there. Fortunately the Secretary for the building took care of me. She'd call me and tell me I had a package and I'd run by and pick it up.. No big deal. But.. 6 months.. And these were Revell/Monogram kits. Nothing obscure..

I buy from the Sprues and Squadron almost exclusively now.. But also a smattering of other vendors from time to time.

Cheers,
Dave

April 28th, 2012, 11:19 pm #5

And their prices.

Keith
Miss them and Battle Hobbies, must be getting old.

April 29th, 2012, 12:30 am #6

And their prices.

Keith
I REALLY liked their website. I will miss that.
I'm trying to buy more of my stuff at the local hobby shop, but I like to look at a well done website to plan my purchases.
Also, the variety of choices they showed was tremendous.
I know there are many here who love Gordon's fast service, but I REALLY wish he had a webdesigner who understood how Great Models website functioned and flowed.

April 29th, 2012, 12:33 am #7

And their prices.

Keith
of the 3 pages of wish list items, maybe 10"% were ever available - it was waste of time for me to shop there.

don't miss them for a second. now if Tower goes away, with their free shipping offers, then I will be in trouble.

April 29th, 2012, 1:25 am #8

And their prices.

Keith
Remember Discount Hobbies out of Utica NY??

April 29th, 2012, 2:00 am #9

And their prices.

Keith
and I never saw what was so great about the GMW site, maybe I didn't know how to use it to its full potential?

Old Digger Pilot

April 29th, 2012, 2:36 am #10

The biggest difference to me was GM's site was WAY easier to search, Sprues is a bit slow but nothing that really bothers me. Maybe now with GM gone I may order from Sprue but only if the selection improves. I've found a few other sites that seem to carry what I'm looking for and so far test orders have all gone through without a hitch.