Any US Navy Viet Nam vets present???

Any US Navy Viet Nam vets present???

December 16th, 2011, 10:00 pm #1

If your a 'Brown Water Sailor', I could use some help...

Any of you have pics to share of South Vietnamese junks? I need some color references... I don't like the colors called out in my instructions, and I have the Squadron /Signal book, Riverine/ A Pictorial History of the Brown Water War in Vietnam... But not much in it...

Ping me here, or at my e-mail; planenutz0266 at yahoo dot com

Thanks in advance...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

December 17th, 2011, 5:11 am #2

...if my slides weren't all packed away at the moment, I'd do some scanning for you.

Cheers,
John Snyder
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, 1966-7, 1969

December 17th, 2011, 2:16 pm #3

... If you get the chance.

Thanks

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

Rick in Virginia
Rick in Virginia

December 18th, 2011, 3:12 am #4

Any of you have pics to share of South Vietnamese junks? I need some color references... I don't like the colors called out in my instructions, and I have the Squadron /Signal book, Riverine/ A Pictorial History of the Brown Water War in Vietnam... But not much in it...

Thanks in advance...

Semper Fi, Don
I've found a few color pic's over the years of the VNN costal junk force they I saved for my own research as I build my own version of Monogram Junk.

Check your email.

Rick in Virginia

December 18th, 2011, 7:01 am #5

Thanks in advance...

Semper Fi, Don
... comma, the following site may be of some interest to you.

http://brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/Sampan.htm

An FYI - Photos 14 & 21 are of the most common sort of small waterway sampans used over there. Powered by a small Honda gas motor w/a really long driveshaft - Perfect for clogged-up klongs.

Have been looking for Verlinden's OOP version of that thing for ages.

HtH.

Regards, Tomt.
Last edited by txt808 on December 18th, 2011, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 19th, 2011, 2:27 pm #6

Thanks in advance...

Semper Fi, Don
I have an old National Geographic with a large color photo. I will try and scan it in and e-mail it to you tonite.

JR

December 20th, 2011, 11:53 am #7

Thanks in advance...

Semper Fi, Don
I'm not USN, but I flew up the Mekong low level from Vung Tau to Saigon a couple times and have some shots squirreled away in my boxes of memories. I will look for them.

And if you ever wondered if wooden sampans sink when shot full of .30 cal - yes they do, at least partially. Then overnight they turn into pontoons for foot bridges.