Any real Panda MRAP reviews?

Any real Panda MRAP reviews?

January 5th, 2012, 2:09 pm #1

Other than the usual slathering over a bunch of parts in the box? I know about the lack of color and decal info in the instructions, the lack of an engine, and the missing radio gear, but what about the rest of the kit?

TIA.

January 5th, 2012, 2:17 pm #2

That Dave Nickels panned it real badly....

You may want to search the threads.

January 5th, 2012, 3:02 pm #3

Other than the usual slathering over a bunch of parts in the box? I know about the lack of color and decal info in the instructions, the lack of an engine, and the missing radio gear, but what about the rest of the kit?

TIA.
I bought one but have NOT built it yet. However, reviews on Planet Armor, Armorama and comments on Missing links are not positive...

build article
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7877

build article
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8025
note that this fellow says: "First ,I thinks that the Panda model kit is the badest (worst) kit I build since many years. What I see are : sloppy engineering, poor fit, poor molding, mistakes in the instructions..."

illustration of body errors which are not an issue with the Kinitic kit of the same thing
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... 36#1525393

I got my kit from Lucky. I think the Kinitic kit is probably worth the $5 or so more.

Lots of kits look good in the box, this one included. You can see though some flash, mold marks, etc. Thats rather disappointing for a brand new kit. If this were the only kit of the vehicle, it would be workable for sure. Perhaps PMMS will do a comparison review of both kits side by side?

Last edited by djnick66 on January 5th, 2012, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 5th, 2012, 4:09 pm #4

TIA.
Here is another review :

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ ... 5001.shtml

Thanh.

January 5th, 2012, 4:27 pm #5

nt

January 8th, 2012, 6:57 pm #6

TIA.
First, we are the importer/ distributor of Panda Hobby for the USA and Canada.

I think that it is important to remember that the review kit built on Armorama was apparently a test shot. For example, the kit was critized for having alot of flash. I took 2 kits from different cartons and looked over each one for flash. I didn't see any flash to speak of.

Regarding the fit, the builder had to do a little filing and sanding of some pieces. It didn't seem to take much time to do it and I don't think that it was worth mentioning. That is my opinion based on some of the kits I have built. I expect to do this.

Most armor/vehicle kits don't come with engines, but it seems to me that there is an opportunity here for AM makers to make one. This kit has a high parts count as it is.

Also, this is Panda Hobby's first kit, so it seems to me that it would be more accurate to compare their kit to some of the first kits from Trumpeter/Hobby Boss/Hobby Fan, Dragon, Bronco, etc.

For example, while building the Tamiya Mid-Production Tiger I, I found that it does not have zimmerit either on it or as pieces to add to it. Also, there was a total mis-fit with the rear engine deck piece and the lower hull.

We have all fought our way through some Dragon kits, so let's damp down the criticism to a more reasonable level. Thanks and

Best Regards,

Ken Lawrence
Pacific Coast Models, Inc.