Any Interest in Retro/Nostalgia Modeling?

Any Interest in Retro/Nostalgia Modeling?

July 13th, 2012, 2:08 am #1

I'm thinking of starting a website or forum dedicated to so-called "Retro" or nostalgia modeling. By this I mean building the older kits (say up to about 1972, or perhaps maybe 1980 or so), and building them primarily for FUN and for the most part using old-school methods and materials (i.e., no aftermarket resin or PE and so forth).

It would not be limited to aircraft but also be open to cars, armor, ships, figures, and "other"--anything would go as long as it's an old kit or a reissue thereof.

How many here would be interested in participating in such a site or forum?

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

July 13th, 2012, 2:24 am #2

Mostly Revell Ss and Monograms of the 50-60s.

Most built badly as gluebombs back then. Now built, w/o extras, OOB, but w/ care, filled seams, airbrushed, etc. Kit decals if poss or I find/make something close. I don't sand off any of the oversized rivets, molded decal placement outlines, etc.

Slowly working thru the many Monogram and Revell missle/rocket/space kits. Also the rare Strombecker space kits, thanks again to eBay ($$$!) and Glencoe.

Now if only someone out there would re-pop or rev eng the Revell XSL-01!!

July 13th, 2012, 2:26 am #3

I'm thinking of starting a website or forum dedicated to so-called "Retro" or nostalgia modeling. By this I mean building the older kits (say up to about 1972, or perhaps maybe 1980 or so), and building them primarily for FUN and for the most part using old-school methods and materials (i.e., no aftermarket resin or PE and so forth).

It would not be limited to aircraft but also be open to cars, armor, ships, figures, and "other"--anything would go as long as it's an old kit or a reissue thereof.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!
I buy a lot of "nostalgia" kits. "Old" Revell, Monogram, ESCI, MPC "Profile Series," Airfix, Hawk, Lindberg, AMT, etc ... Stuff from my childhood and teen years.

I'd follow a site that looked at old kits and how they can be built OOB, etc...

Kent

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

July 13th, 2012, 2:38 am #4

Sat Cong!
I build old school. I don't own an airbrush. About half of what I build is pre-1975. I have done a lot of new builds of the old glue-bombs from my past. I have stuff in my scrapbox of parts and decals that are older than what I have on my shelves. I will never suffer from AMS because I build what is fun for me. Great idea, Snake. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

July 13th, 2012, 2:42 am #5

I love that stuff, I bought the terrible old Revell Long Beach recently, may be my next big project. One of my favorites well two actually is the old Snake and Mongoose funny cars, I bought the re-pop a few years back. I can see them from where I'm typing yeah I love that stuff!
Rob

July 13th, 2012, 2:44 am #6

Sat Cong!
Oh... got a bit carried away there...

You know, car modelers would have a nice selection still on the shelves from the old days.

Rommels Rod (well it's a remake of an old kit), The Red Baron, various Mustangs, 57 Chevrolets, etc etc...

Got the entire catalog of Aurora tanks from 1971 still in the boxes...

Love 'em...

July 13th, 2012, 2:46 am #7

Sat Cong!
something lots of guys here would be interested in. Good luck with it. cheers, Len

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

July 13th, 2012, 3:05 am #8

Sat Cong!
Lindberg P-47N

Mono TBF

and of course,

Mono P-40B, P-39, P-38, OS2U

AND,...AND

Aurora PBY and SBC-3

plus others

That answer your question?

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

July 13th, 2012, 3:13 am #9

Sat Cong!
Greg in OK

July 13th, 2012, 3:13 am #10

Sat Cong!
After decades of study, it has become obvious that Murphy was an optimist...
Last edited by jimmbbo on July 13th, 2012, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.