Any Hyperscalers out there with experience in flooded houses?

Any Hyperscalers out there with experience in flooded houses?

April 25th, 2012, 3:21 am #1

A brass fitting on my water heater split along its length and spewed pressurized water out through my house while I was out of it for a couple of days. It was even shooting through the louvers on the doors of the closet where the fitting broke into the room across the hall.

Does anybody have any tips...

I have one for modelers... put ALL kits in the stash on the bottom layer in plastic totes NOT in boxes....

Keep decals in plastic drawers or boxes... all my decals are fine.. and are dry... I'm worried some of my old kits bought the farm but I can't determine that until tomorrow.

it's just sickening... a $2.00 fitting is going to cost me possibly having even the sheet rock removed and all my carpet... I'll have to pay the difference between depreciation and full price until I prove that I did the work, then they'll send me a check for the rest. Have a little savings... so far I've been out a rental truck, and a storage locker... approximately 500.00

Meantime I'm on a slow walk through hades to get all the stuff out of the house and stored safely...

rrrrrrr....

one other recommendation... PAY THE MONEY for the best homeowners policy you can get... right now I'm looking at storage costs, and a small deductible with replacement value coverage... not the depreciated value of everything damaged or destroyed... my first major loss, but MAAAAN it's a Lulu
Last edited by seafirexv on April 25th, 2012, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 1:25 pm #2

...which I dislike intensely and will make plans to move.

I wish you the best on your recovery and repair.

Lee G.

April 25th, 2012, 2:00 pm #3

A brass fitting on my water heater split along its length and spewed pressurized water out through my house while I was out of it for a couple of days. It was even shooting through the louvers on the doors of the closet where the fitting broke into the room across the hall.

I have one for modelers... put ALL kits in the stash on the bottom layer in plastic totes NOT in boxes....

Keep decals in plastic drawers or boxes... all my decals are fine.. and are dry... I'm worried some of my old kits bought the farm but I can't determine that until tomorrow.

it's just sickening... a $2.00 fitting is going to cost me possibly having even the sheet rock removed and all my carpet... I'll have to pay the difference between depreciation and full price until I prove that I did the work, then they'll send me a check for the rest. Have a little savings... so far I've been out a rental truck, and a storage locker... approximately 500.00

Meantime I'm on a slow walk through hades to get all the stuff out of the house and stored safely...

rrrrrrr....

one other recommendation... PAY THE MONEY for the best homeowners policy you can get... right now I'm looking at storage costs, and a small deductible with replacement value coverage... not the depreciated value of everything damaged or destroyed... my first major loss, but MAAAAN it's a Lulu
if we're going to be gone for more than, say, a day.

Phil

April 25th, 2012, 5:52 pm #4

n/t

April 25th, 2012, 10:19 pm #5

...which I dislike intensely and will make plans to move.

I wish you the best on your recovery and repair.

Lee G.
Some people have a pan under their water heater with a tube that will drain the water
somewhere safe when the heater leaks.
That may be a good option for you and you can leave it in the attic. You can have the water drain out a side window in the attic.

Owen

April 26th, 2012, 2:14 am #6

It wouldn't have helped in my case a lot because the water was spewing out of a fractured fitting, but in the case of a water heater leak, or an unpressurized leak, it could save you the trouble I'm now having

April 26th, 2012, 2:15 am #7

if we're going to be gone for more than, say, a day.

Phil
i will now =:-O

April 26th, 2012, 2:20 am #8

rrrrrrr....

they were in a box that got wet on the bottom, but not on the top... hooray!

April 26th, 2012, 12:29 pm #9

rrrrrrr....

You have my sympathy, mine did that once about 12 years ago, n/t

April 26th, 2012, 1:30 pm #10

rrrrrrr....

My water softener sprung a slow leak and flooded my family room wood flooring. Steped out Easter morning to see little gysers shooting up between the wood cracks. I was HOME all the time this was happening. The oddest thing is the water actully ran under a tile floor until it surfaced in the family room. The water softener now has a rubber lined catch pan that will hold 15 gallons.

Second one the sewer line clogged and BOTH toilets over flowed, (clean water thank goodnes)

I have USAA, they had a recovery team in the house within two hours of the call.

Expect to do the following:

-Pull up ALL of the carpeting and have it air dried & cleaned to prevent mold.

- If you have lamiate wood floors pull them up and throw them away. They will only mold and rot if left in place.

-get a recovery team over to see what sheetrock has been water saturated. Remove the sheet rock up as high as needed to remove that mold source. THEN dry out all the 2x4 studs that are now exposed and treat with anti mold compound.

Like the others sorry for your loss and hope the recovery goes well.