Any good stock Ford Model A or B's in 1/24 or 1/25?

Any good stock Ford Model A or B's in 1/24 or 1/25?

Mike D.
Mike D.

August 3rd, 2011, 3:07 am #1

I'm normally build military items. But, lately I've been thinking about building a stock version of a late 20's early 30's Model A or a '32 Model B. Is there any kits out there in 1/24 or 1/25? I'm not looking for a street or hot rod version just a good old fashioned version. I've looked on some websites and at stores but nothing really. Not many hobby shops left around me. Closest one is closing in a few weeks. I remember RM release a '30 5 window coupe a couple of years ago but I believe it's long gone. Any thoughts or guidance?

August 3rd, 2011, 3:14 pm #2

Mostly decent kits; old 3 in ones that built street, stock and custom. You can get some resin bodies also for versions AMT did not make like the 34 Ford Tudor 4 door (Bonnie and Clyde car)

August 4th, 2011, 1:28 am #3

I'm normally build military items. But, lately I've been thinking about building a stock version of a late 20's early 30's Model A or a '32 Model B. Is there any kits out there in 1/24 or 1/25? I'm not looking for a street or hot rod version just a good old fashioned version. I've looked on some websites and at stores but nothing really. Not many hobby shops left around me. Closest one is closing in a few weeks. I remember RM release a '30 5 window coupe a couple of years ago but I believe it's long gone. Any thoughts or guidance?
Yes, Monogram reissued the '30 A a few years back, which means there should be several at reasonable prices at any given time on eBay. They shouldn't be THAT rare.

There are several stock-buildable Model A trucks and woodies available, if that would do. If so, let me know and I'll run those down for you.

Bit tougher for a stock '32. There have been many kits over the years but most of them have catered to the hot-rod crowd and aren't really heavy on stock parts. The old AMT '32 roadster and 5-window coupe kits can be built "stock" but the chassis are one-piece. They do have stock wheels/tires and engines, though. The 5-window coupe's body isn't very accurate, though (although it looks good, it's just not stock).

The newer Revell '32 Fords are excellent kits, but they are NOT set up to be built stock and I don't think they even have stock-type wheels/tires in them. Might be possible to combine one of those Revell bodies with the simple stock AMT chassis to do a stock '32.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

August 4th, 2011, 6:44 pm #4

Revell has a '31 Tudor sedan that can be built stock (more or less). The kit dates back to the '60s and I don't think it's in print now but it was repopped not long ago and should be available reasonably on eBay.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!

Mike D.
Mike D.

August 5th, 2011, 4:48 am #5

Snake-I will let you know. I may only need tires and spoked wheels at this point. Im going to try to convert the R/M Touring A street rod. Doesn't look like it will be that hard.

David-Thanks for letting me know about the aftermarket bodies, etc.

August 6th, 2011, 12:11 am #6

For some reason Monogram made their cars larger than Revell and AMT so you cant cross kit. Make sure the scales are teh same

August 6th, 2011, 1:15 am #7

The original Monogram kits are 1/24. The original Revells, and the new Revells, and the AMTs are 1/25.

If you're building the old Monogram Model A (which can be built stock), it's 1/24 but it has everything you need for a stocker so no sweat.

The other Monogram-origin 1/24 kits can't be built stock (they're hot rods), so you're not worried about those.

You shouldn't have any trouble cross-scaling with the newer Revell '32s and the original AMT '32s.

Sat Cong!