Another dummy Brewster 239 seat question

Another dummy Brewster 239 seat question

August 12th, 2012, 1:24 pm #1

Hallo

I have found these two pictures , they are from the Finnish air force museum

Maybe I am a dummy but i don't get it, on the left is what apear to be the aircraft's orginal seat and on the right is the localy produced armour plate

My question, where they both installed in the cockpit, how?, was the armour plate place underneath/behind the orginal seat?

The Orginal seat look alot like a Wildcat seat, I have one of those from Ultracast in 1/48, could I use this together with the kit parts?

TIA

Bo

August 12th, 2012, 6:39 pm #2

Yes, that is a standard issue USN late 1930's seat. Based on photos of the seat arrangement that have emerged from the recovered aircraft, here's how it appears the armor was arranged:

- the original seat was mounted on the original mounting.
- the back and seat pan armor was fitted inside the seat
- there is some kind of tensioning system for the shoulder harness that comes from a single point in the back armor about six inches to a eight inch bar, to which the ends of the shoulder harness straps are attahced.
- the lap belts come around the original seat in the normal fashion, maybe set longer to accomodate the armor seat pan.
- the back armor (and I assume the seat pan armor) were covered in (fine Corinthian?)black leather.

I'm making the conclusion that the armor was inside the seat from the following evidence:
- BW-372's pilot survived
- that hole in the seat (shot from the rear) would have done serious harm to any pilot
- therefore the armor had to be between the original seat and the pilot.

Hope that helps - Jim

August 12th, 2012, 7:19 pm #3

Armor inset in original seat ..you can see how mounted in photo
The bolt heads in armor the bolt holes drilled in original seat
Plus Jims observation

August 14th, 2012, 6:55 pm #4

Thanks a million Jim & Humu

Bo