and speaking of paint issues...

and speaking of paint issues...

July 15th, 2017, 7:11 pm #1

I have acquired a rather nice 1/48 scale resin cast kit for the infamous Curtiss-Wright CW-21 interceptor of 1940 vintage, the bird sold to the Netherlands East Indies and Chinese air forces just before the outbreak of War in the Pacific. I would like to do the bird in Netherlands East Indies camouflage and markings.
So what is the latest info available on the "Ould Blad and Jung Blad" (Old leaf and young leaf) camouflage colors used on the upper surfaces by the Netherlands service?? Any body have any good info??
One publication I have says it is U.S. Light and Dark Olive Drab. What they based that on I don't know.

Bill Shuey

July 15th, 2017, 8:52 pm #2

Underside was aluminum.

Dutch colors updated
February 14 2011 at 9:49 PM Jim Maas WKBS Jim Maas WKBS (Login jimmaas)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 67.248.81.241

Response to Dutch Colours especially NEIAF?
It's unclear from your message whether you are asking about Dutch colors as used in the Netherlands itself (which used the Douglas) or the Netherlands East Indies, which was an almost completely separate entity. The European colors were, on best evidence, Camouflage Beige FS 26360, Camouflagegroen 24077 and Camouflagebruin FS 20059, with undersurfaces in the Camouflagebruin. I don't know enough about the Douglas light bomber to speak to whether they used correct paints.

There have been some recent changes in the understanding of ML-KNIL colors. The most recent information is that the two greens used on the uppersurface, Jongblad and Oudblad, were close to the two greens used by the USAF in the Vietnam era scheme: 34079 and 34102. The darker green (34079) could be a bit darker based on a color chip I have seen, and the lighter green a little lighter to correctly reflect the contrast between the two colors. Undersurfaces were, for fighters, either natural metal (Hawk 75's) or aluminum lacquer (Brewsters).

Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

July 16th, 2017, 2:44 am #3

I have acquired a rather nice 1/48 scale resin cast kit for the infamous Curtiss-Wright CW-21 interceptor of 1940 vintage, the bird sold to the Netherlands East Indies and Chinese air forces just before the outbreak of War in the Pacific. I would like to do the bird in Netherlands East Indies camouflage and markings.
So what is the latest info available on the "Ould Blad and Jung Blad" (Old leaf and young leaf) camouflage colors used on the upper surfaces by the Netherlands service?? Any body have any good info??
One publication I have says it is U.S. Light and Dark Olive Drab. What they based that on I don't know.

Bill Shuey
I think it would be a good seller no?

All the best,
Brandon S.

July 16th, 2017, 4:28 am #4

Underside was aluminum.

Dutch colors updated
February 14 2011 at 9:49 PM Jim Maas WKBS Jim Maas WKBS (Login jimmaas)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 67.248.81.241

Response to Dutch Colours especially NEIAF?
It's unclear from your message whether you are asking about Dutch colors as used in the Netherlands itself (which used the Douglas) or the Netherlands East Indies, which was an almost completely separate entity. The European colors were, on best evidence, Camouflage Beige FS 26360, Camouflagegroen 24077 and Camouflagebruin FS 20059, with undersurfaces in the Camouflagebruin. I don't know enough about the Douglas light bomber to speak to whether they used correct paints.

There have been some recent changes in the understanding of ML-KNIL colors. The most recent information is that the two greens used on the uppersurface, Jongblad and Oudblad, were close to the two greens used by the USAF in the Vietnam era scheme: 34079 and 34102. The darker green (34079) could be a bit darker based on a color chip I have seen, and the lighter green a little lighter to correctly reflect the contrast between the two colors. Undersurfaces were, for fighters, either natural metal (Hawk 75's) or aluminum lacquer (Brewsters).
n/t

July 16th, 2017, 1:01 pm #5

I think it would be a good seller no?

All the best,
Brandon S.
That's a hint to Hobbyboss…
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

July 16th, 2017, 7:18 pm #6

Bill Shuey
side by side and I liked the WSW Modellbau one better. So I sold the Sierra Scale kit. WSW still sells their kit occasionally on eBay.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img ... istine.jpg
Last edited by bjohns5 on July 16th, 2017, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.