"And now, something completely different!" (Monty Python's Flying Circus)

"And now, something completely different!" (Monty Python's Flying Circus)

March 29th, 2012, 9:44 pm #1

It is an Airfix Piper Cherokee Arrow in 1/72 scale.

I have to admit thast I was inspired by Wally's beautiful civilian aircraft models. I have to admit that I am not fit to even clean his paintbrushes. You have to be a great modeler to build and paint like he does.
I bought this one from Plane Trading with the intention of doing a Finnish Air Force trainer. It is one of the old Blister Pack kits from the '70s or '80s. The windscreen was missing but Airfix sent me a new one. I couldn't find the right roundels, so I went with the general aviation theme.
The kit decals were so yellowed that what I built is a whiffer in that the decals are from the scrap box and the paint job is as adventurous as I could manage with my skill level. I looked at a whole bunch of photos from Airliners.com to get a general idea of what was possible.
The red is Testors #1103 square bottle and the white is the kit plastic and Future. I am still looking for "kabuki tape which Wally uses. I used 3M low-tack blue painters tape cut into strips with a straightedge ruler, and a new #11 blade on a sheet of glass. As I brushpaint, I sealed the masking with brushed on Future and when dry painted the Red.
I am going back to military stuff. I would rather freehand brushpaint a mottle job on an SM.79 or He.219 than fool around with all of this masking tape.
(shot with my iPhone) Thanks for looking. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on March 29th, 2012, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 11:32 pm #2

in orange plastic which makes turning out a white aircraft extremely difficult.

March 29th, 2012, 11:50 pm #3

It was a Japanese market Airfix kit in a blister pack with English and Japanese intructions. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

March 30th, 2012, 12:46 am #4

I have to admit thast I was inspired by Wally's beautiful civilian aircraft models. I have to admit that I am not fit to even clean his paintbrushes. You have to be a great modeler to build and paint like he does.
I bought this one from Plane Trading with the intention of doing a Finnish Air Force trainer. It is one of the old Blister Pack kits from the '70s or '80s. The windscreen was missing but Airfix sent me a new one. I couldn't find the right roundels, so I went with the general aviation theme.
The kit decals were so yellowed that what I built is a whiffer in that the decals are from the scrap box and the paint job is as adventurous as I could manage with my skill level. I looked at a whole bunch of photos from Airliners.com to get a general idea of what was possible.
The red is Testors #1103 square bottle and the white is the kit plastic and Future. I am still looking for "kabuki tape which Wally uses. I used 3M low-tack blue painters tape cut into strips with a straightedge ruler, and a new #11 blade on a sheet of glass. As I brushpaint, I sealed the masking with brushed on Future and when dry painted the Red.
I am going back to military stuff. I would rather freehand brushpaint a mottle job on an SM.79 or He.219 than fool around with all of this masking tape.

And all the more impressive since I figure it must be right tiny. May I clean your paint brushes?

Stuart

March 30th, 2012, 12:48 am #5

But your right, the camo stuff is more fun !!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 30th, 2012, 8:42 am #6

That is really sweet Larry - we need more of these civilians - maybe a GB??? n/t

March 30th, 2012, 4:53 pm #7

s

March 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm #8

I'd like to jump in and take a little trip....

March 30th, 2012, 10:19 pm #9

but they spent less time on it!

Great looking model.

Greg in OK