AMS, what is it?

AMS, what is it?

July 5th, 2012, 10:30 pm #1

This is from a discussion on another site. I always thought AMS stood for anal modeler syndrome (or anal modeling syndrome or anal modelers syndrome). Others are saying it's advanced modeler syndrome (or something very similar) or after market syndrome. Maybe there is nothing as official as an OED entry, but just wondering what people here thought the acronym stood for.

I did search AMS at this site, with lots of hits where people talk about being/having AMS, but not spelling out the term.

Thanks,
Mike

yeah, all except the part about him being presumed dead.

July 5th, 2012, 10:34 pm #2

it is supposed to be

Advanced Modelers Syndrome

AMS means "I am so good that I can't get any models built"

there is a "sweet spot" just before true AMS,,it is truly being a good modeler, with lots of knowledge,,,,and getting things built

you have seen that work at shows and the Nats postings

I don't entirely believe in it's use, though,,,,,saying AMS implies that people that know things don't build, and those that build don't know things

I see too many builds by people that help others out to believe it

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

July 5th, 2012, 10:37 pm #3

This is from a discussion on another site. I always thought AMS stood for anal modeler syndrome (or anal modeling syndrome or anal modelers syndrome). Others are saying it's advanced modeler syndrome (or something very similar) or after market syndrome. Maybe there is nothing as official as an OED entry, but just wondering what people here thought the acronym stood for.

I did search AMS at this site, with lots of hits where people talk about being/having AMS, but not spelling out the term.

Thanks,
Mike

I came down with it not too long ago and am still fighting it. BE AFRAID!

July 5th, 2012, 10:39 pm #4

Thanks,
Mike

Occasionally, you'll see it's use (Advanced Modeler Syndrome or Anal Modeler Syndrome) to put down someone who is a "know it all."
Usually, we use the term tongue in cheek when we're so busy trying to get details right on a model that we never really get anything done at all! Then there are those of us who "know" so much about a model that we just trash what we've been building because we "can't get it right."
In short, it's a somewhat excussive term for those of us who never complete a model, usually used at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

July 5th, 2012, 10:39 pm #5

Thanks,
Mike

I used to know, but now I have CRS... n/t

July 5th, 2012, 10:46 pm #6

Thanks,
Mike

USN, Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures)...then I was an AMH, Aviation Structural Mechanic (Hydraulics)...then they dropped both to make it just AM...and finally I ended up an AWF, Aviation Warfare Operator (Mechanical) after they decided it'd be a good idea to make aircrewmen a whole separate rating...

But, yeah, in the modeling sense of the word, it's what Rex said!

I had it for a little while myself; couldn't build anything unless I had every piece of aftermarket resin, PE and the latest decal sheet depicting the aircrafts most up to the minute scheme!!...and I wasn't getting anything built nor having fun in the hobby. I've since decided that a good aftermarket seat will do, maybe a whole cockpit now and then and whatever markings I happen to see that I liked from whatever time period of the type.

Ahhhhhh...life is good.
Last edited by Whitey on July 5th, 2012, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew White

July 5th, 2012, 11:46 pm #7

Thanks,
Mike

I was fine untill I started entering contests, and started placing, it's been down hill since, now I seldom finish any thing, (have about 20 partials) seems if they ain't perfect (or at least better than the last show entry) I lose interest, I'm now on a program of trying to finish the part builts, and doing some thing OOB (that's out of box) and actually FINISHED! Not doing so good, but some progress is being made.

Old Digger Pilot

July 5th, 2012, 11:47 pm #8

Thanks,
Mike

The notion is similar to paralysis by analysis--you are so eager to get things right down to the smallest detail that you get bogged down in unrewarding fiddly work, obsess about color choices, or simply cannot get a start, either because that critical aftermarket decal or resin bit is off the market, or for fear of screwing something up. The knowledge (or, at least the knowledge that you need more knowledge) impedes progress and steals joy. This is different from someone who thoroughly enjoys this sort of thing--they work on their projects and enjoy themselves, whether they are really advanced modelers or not.

Some people apply it to themselves, wryly; it has probably impacted many of us now and again. Used to describe someone else, it's probably insulting.

The cure is not to take the hobby quite that seriously, unless you're building for commission or run your own hobby-related business (in which case, is it really a hobby any more?)

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

July 6th, 2012, 12:07 am #9

I was fine untill I started entering contests, and started placing, it's been down hill since, now I seldom finish any thing, (have about 20 partials) seems if they ain't perfect (or at least better than the last show entry) I lose interest, I'm now on a program of trying to finish the part builts, and doing some thing OOB (that's out of box) and actually FINISHED! Not doing so good, but some progress is being made.

Old Digger Pilot
Where else could spending 100 to 150 bucks on a bunch of parts that may or may not fit a 30 dollar model to win a 15 dollar trophy make sense?????

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

July 6th, 2012, 1:53 am #10

Thanks,
Mike

Wepster's Dictionary : "That delerium to which nearly all serious modeler's succumb to, at some point or another. (also see "temporary insanity") A compulsion to include excessive amounts of detail the casual viewer (or otherwise) will not notice; as in complete interior detail of a model submarine or windowless aircraft which cannot be opened for view, purchasing an entire kit simply for the use of a few decals contained therein. The list goes on and on. Never completely cured. A sufferer may go months or years free of compulsion when the condition once again rears it's ugly (prototypically inaccurate) head."

I too suffer from AMS and my pursuit of as much perfection as that which I am capable is probably what prevents me from ever completing anything. I wait for it to pass, so I may go on building.