AMS in Regression???

AMS in Regression???

May 17th, 2012, 11:01 am #1

Seems that as I get older, my AMS is slacking off. For example I was looking over a 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 from the stash last night and decided the kit prop doesnt look all that bad when compared to the resin replacement. Thinner yes but still not that bad. Im even having fun with some Revell re-issues of box scale kits I had built as a kid. My skills are better now, and Im adding details but the odd scale and not-so perfect shapes are not as much of an issue. Am I the only one?

May 17th, 2012, 11:10 am #2

I'm getting back into, well, for lack of a better term, "enjoying" the hobby!

May 17th, 2012, 11:17 am #3

Seems that as I get older, my AMS is slacking off. For example I was looking over a 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 from the stash last night and decided the kit prop doesnt look all that bad when compared to the resin replacement. Thinner yes but still not that bad. Im even having fun with some Revell re-issues of box scale kits I had built as a kid. My skills are better now, and Im adding details but the odd scale and not-so perfect shapes are not as much of an issue. Am I the only one?
...until re-entering in 2006. At first, I got very hung up on accuracy. To the point I wasn't enjoying the hobby at all.

I finally decided that I would change my attitude, that my motto would be "build it like a kid". I've pretty much stuck with that. No indictment on folks who really pay attention to accuracy, but my personality tends to be one who will obsess to the point of ridiculousness over things unless I consciously decide not to. So I see the problems in a kit, but I just let the 10 year old in me take over and happily work.

Like on Hobbyboss' P-40M....

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 17th, 2012, 11:42 am #4

trying to build for the fun of it and also tripping down memory lane...old 1/48th Monogram planes from my youth, built OOB,I'm filling gaps and tweeking where needed, but not much else same with tanks, not paying $50-80.00 for a new tank kit, I have plenty of tanks in the stash, some were had for $5-10.00 at shows, they'll be fun to build. Mike

May 17th, 2012, 11:42 am #5

meant nothing was getting finshed. Since then, I've basically built OOB as much as possible. My fit and finish is to a fairly high standard, but I don't open up panels or use alot of aftermarket. The only exceptions are decals and seat belts. It's more fun now. I completed 12 last year, and am working on #4 for 2012. In fact, #4 is a Monogram 1/48 F-18C that sat on the shelf of doom waiting for paint since 2003! Sometime this weekend, it will join it's friends on my modern USN shelves!

May 17th, 2012, 11:46 am #6

I simply can't physically work at the same detail level I used to. What AMS accessories I use are mostly out of necessity, e.g., I buy a lot of Eduard color etch. Yeah, it's flat and frequently less detailed than the kit parts, but it's PAINTED!

May 17th, 2012, 11:46 am #7

I had to make a decision a few years back while looking at all the amazing work in the magazines and web sites. While I greatly admire a lot of the work out there, I had to build to a lower level or quit.

I realized that I was avoiding building kits because it became work rather than fun, so I decided to build out of the box with a small amount of scratchbuilding (little to no aftermarket) because thats where my personal level of fun resides.

May 17th, 2012, 11:52 am #8

getting done. I was really hung up on it going back a few years, had to have whatever aftermarket was out there and the latest decals...then a new set of decals would come along and another! Next thing ya know, nothing is getting built!

I finally narrowed my field of subjects and limited resin to a bang seat and the occassional cockpit or wheels.
Andrew White

May 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm #9

Reading recently about guys who have 400 kits in an attic stash made me shudder. I had only twenty or so and thought that was excessive, so decided last year not to buy any new kits for a while and instead have 'built my stash' (or most of it anyway).

Now have only 2 F-15Es, 2 Bf 109s(E/G),and a Fairey Swordfish floatplane. For any builds in this time have only purchased the odd seatbelt set and a zoom set for one of the mudhens (only the one though - wanted to compare the zoom build to my skills in painting the office of the second kit to prove to myself I could in fact get by without Eduard/Aires/Cutting Edge etc etc.)

Hobby skills are like any other - if you don't use them you lose them.

May 17th, 2012, 12:34 pm #10

I can only speak for myself here. I just read 'The Blond Knight of Germany' and want to build a Hartmann Bf-109. I found out that he flew a BF-109 G6 so I ordered the 1/32 Hasegawa kit and a set of EagleCal stickers for it. That's it. I'll build the kit OOB, put the stickers on it and move on to the next build. It sure makes the hobby a lot more fun for me these days. I often think that AMS is why so many fellows have multiple builds on the go, and manage never to finish much, if anything.

Cheers,

Chris
Last edited by ChrisJohnson56 on May 17th, 2012, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.