Americans driving more economical vehicles

Americans driving more economical vehicles

February 25th, 2012, 6:48 pm #1

In the discussions about gasolene prices, a poster from outside of the of the US pointed out the value of driving better milage automobiles.

If I could afford it I would buy a Toyota Prius tomorrow.I can not image anyone not wanting to have a car that gets like 40 or 50 MPG in city driving. What is the downside? You are so big you cant fit inside of a Prius? And there are other hybrids on the market too. The point is we all have to get our hands on these effcient vehicles, not just a few of us to get away from imported oil.. this is a no brainer.

What I don't understand is how come GM didn't beat Toyota to the market place, or Ford for that matter.

As for Americans needing different vehicles than Europeans, that does not seem to be consistant with the facts. One of my cars is an Catera*( well it was sold by Cadillac, but is really just an Opel) It goes easily faster than any american speed limit, has taken me all the way across Florida..without needing to refill the gas tank.

Donald

* turns out , like Ms Romney I too drive a couple of Cadillacs...well they are both more than 11 years old. What I do to help save gas is just not drive if I can do it. I buy from Amazon!
Almost every thing I need for my house they seem to have. Shipping is free (prime**), no sales tax, and all I have to do is to go pick it up at the mail box! This is no joke,check it out.

<i></i> costs you $79.00 a year, but all shipping is free

February 25th, 2012, 6:59 pm #2

Why more people in the states don't believe in deisel. My dad used to have a small vw polo I believe and he got more than 60mpg. Instead people settle for expensive hybrids...

February 25th, 2012, 7:07 pm #3

In the discussions about gasolene prices, a poster from outside of the of the US pointed out the value of driving better milage automobiles.

If I could afford it I would buy a Toyota Prius tomorrow.I can not image anyone not wanting to have a car that gets like 40 or 50 MPG in city driving. What is the downside? You are so big you cant fit inside of a Prius? And there are other hybrids on the market too. The point is we all have to get our hands on these effcient vehicles, not just a few of us to get away from imported oil.. this is a no brainer.

What I don't understand is how come GM didn't beat Toyota to the market place, or Ford for that matter.

As for Americans needing different vehicles than Europeans, that does not seem to be consistant with the facts. One of my cars is an Catera*( well it was sold by Cadillac, but is really just an Opel) It goes easily faster than any american speed limit, has taken me all the way across Florida..without needing to refill the gas tank.

Donald

* turns out , like Ms Romney I too drive a couple of Cadillacs...well they are both more than 11 years old. What I do to help save gas is just not drive if I can do it. I buy from Amazon!
Almost every thing I need for my house they seem to have. Shipping is free (prime**), no sales tax, and all I have to do is to go pick it up at the mail box! This is no joke,check it out.

100 yrs supply!! Then we may have other perfected power sources.
Hybrids work fine in cities but mileage falls when on long highway trips!! Not that much better than all gas and cost one-hellva lot more!!
One car to drive to work every day and another for family vacation?? You sell cars?? LOL!!!

Bo

February 25th, 2012, 7:17 pm #4

Why more people in the states don't believe in deisel. My dad used to have a small vw polo I believe and he got more than 60mpg. Instead people settle for expensive hybrids...
The one I had, lasted about 75K miles before the injectors and engine fell apart. Oldsmobile left a bad taste for more diesels!! Did get good economy, tho.

Heard yesterday, the US has 21???? or something like that, different blends of 87 octane gasoline!! 21!!!! Why so many that the refiners have to make, store and ship to different locations!!! Never considered that as reason for high prices. Yesterday's news report estimated the cost per gallon could drop $1/gallon if there were only 1 blend!!!

Bo

February 25th, 2012, 7:32 pm #5

Donald

I drive a Toyota Tundra. I haul all manor of stuff including my ATV to go hunting. I drive cross country once a year in it to the IPMS USA Nats and I bring my merchandise along with me. It is a great vehicle, fast and a smooth ride. Had I been in a Prius or other small car 4 years ago I may not be here. I was in my 2000 Tundra at the time, sitting still on the freeway and got hit by a minivan doing about 50mph. Barely damaged my truck, tore the whole front end off the van. Lucky neither the driver of the van nor I were injured. The downed motorcyclist I was protecting with my truck survived too, the van would have run him over. I prefer my truck and plan to keep driving it as long as I can.
Working from home has its advantages in that I don't use much gas most months.

February 25th, 2012, 8:26 pm #6

The one I had, lasted about 75K miles before the injectors and engine fell apart. Oldsmobile left a bad taste for more diesels!! Did get good economy, tho.

Heard yesterday, the US has 21???? or something like that, different blends of 87 octane gasoline!! 21!!!! Why so many that the refiners have to make, store and ship to different locations!!! Never considered that as reason for high prices. Yesterday's news report estimated the cost per gallon could drop $1/gallon if there were only 1 blend!!!

Bo
and then think about how you'd make a single blend work correctly in all vehicles,
everywhere in the US.

L'avion accuse ... Le Corbusier

February 25th, 2012, 8:29 pm #7

Donald

f

L'avion accuse ... Le Corbusier

February 25th, 2012, 8:32 pm #8

February 25th, 2012, 8:45 pm #9

and they did not want it running through farm land.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

February 25th, 2012, 8:52 pm #10

Donald

We poor folks in the extreme climate country are, once again, victims of our weather.

Last weekend, the auto columnist for the local paper here in Winnipeg did a review of a new Hyundai hybrid.

The results were "as feared". During our version of mild cold weather (-10C to -20C), the gasoline engine/generator ran continuously. Batteries start to dramatically lose efficiency as they get cold. Up here they can easily cold soak at -35C during winter nights.

The net result was that the hybrid was less fuel efficient here than the normal gas powered car. The hybrid was heavier because of the battery. And the battery was little more than dead weight in our cold weather.

I think hybrids would work like a charm in California.

But I live in a place that goes from -40C in the winter to +40C in the summer.