amelia earhart plane found pic?

amelia earhart plane found pic?

March 21st, 2012, 2:57 pm #1

wish they had put up some kind of comparison pic so we could see what they are seeing in this pic.

supposed to be the landing gear..

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/re ... ?hpt=hp_t3

March 21st, 2012, 3:34 pm #2

mermaid or Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent.
Looks like TIGHAR is really going off the deep end this time.

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

March 21st, 2012, 4:41 pm #3

wish they had put up some kind of comparison pic so we could see what they are seeing in this pic.

Everyone KNOWS the aliens got her!

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

March 21st, 2012, 5:57 pm #4

At the bottom of this post is a blow-up of a picture of the gear on an Electra at the Western Canada Aviation Museum.

As many have said, there is great danger in the power of suggestion regarding the photo in the news. Yeah, I could see it being the gear from an Electra. On the other hand, if it's suggested in advance that it may be Electra gear, that makes it more likely that I will interpret it as such. It could be a thousand other things.

Of course, there is significant skepticism involving anything involving TIGHAR which seems to keep "finding" things and linking them to Earhart on a regular basis even if the connection is extremely tenuous.

All that aside, I would like to make an personal observation about the Electra. By way of some background, I learned to fly in the mid 1970's. At the time, I was working for a bush flying outfit (NOT as a pilot, I was just a Cessna driver) that regularly put me in DC-3s, DC-4's Cansos and such. I became quite familiar with the way they were put together and how to get out of them in a hurry. I would later work for an aviation maintenance company.

A few years back, I was fortunate to be asked to help a mechanic who was doing maintenance on the Electra in the local museum. BTW, this plane FLIES...it's not a hangar queen (saw it airborne about 10 days ago). My "job" that day was to man the cockpit and operate any controls that were requested by the mechanic on the outside of the plane.

I was struck by what was, in my opinion, the extremely high "survivability" of the cockpit. the first thing I noticed was that the main spar runs through the cabin. In larger planes of the era (like the DC-3), the spar is under the cabin floor which makes for easier access. In the Electra, you must step over the spar to get into the cockpit. While inconvenient, it has the benefit of putting your lower back just inches away from the strongest point of the airframe. A tubular steel frame is apparent on the sidewalls of the cockpit. Furthermore, the leading edges of wing actually extend forward to a point where they are just ahead of where you sit in the cockpit. The cockpit looks to be extremely strong and well protected.

Also, due to the smaller cockpit, access to the overhead ditching hatch is very easy....better than any other plane I've ever been in. It would be possible to stand on the pilots seat and literally fall out of the ditching hatch. A person with an upper body injury, would not have to pull themselves up to the hatch...they could just stand up and wiggle out. Likewise, if the pilot had a lower body injury, the ditching hatch is close enough that they could reach up and pull themselves out, dragging their legs behind, if necessary. Such a feat would be extremely difficult in a larger DC-3.

Finally, I have to note that the plane has a big, fat, high lift wing with a lot of area. When you consider that it would have been out of fuel (or nearly out of fuel) when ditched, it should have been highly controllable at low speed...and it could have floated for a long time.

This plane should have been able to make an easily controlled and very survivable ditching (at least for the pilot...don't know about poor Fred Noonan in the back).

Of course, who knows what happened at the end. If not done properly, it could have stalled and cartwheeled into the water killing both before the plane even stopped bouncing. But I can't help thinking they should have, with "relative" ease, survived ditching.

March 21st, 2012, 6:19 pm #5

Everyone KNOWS the aliens got her!

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!
Brent,

As someone who has had experience with this A/C, your statements are very interesting.

This is going to be something to watch.
Last edited by rhaitsma on March 21st, 2012, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2012, 6:49 pm #6

OK, enough of Gillespie and his yet to produce ANY historic aircraft wreck anywhere TIGHAR money sucking group! Google the following site: electranewbritain.com and check it out. This Aussie
has more "real" evidence than all the other AE seekers have put together............

March 21st, 2012, 6:51 pm #7

at Plane Talking. What happened to it? Turned into another shouting match did it? Why not just remove the shouting/angry replies and leave the rest!!?? Or is that not poss w/ N54? Baby w/ bathwater.

Would not the person who took that snap have known beforehand of a plane crashing in the lagoon/bay/whatever?? Kinda a big deal when an a/c crashes nearby. Or someone local pointing out to the tourist photog (?) that an a/c had crashed offshore recently? Yes, I guess the a/c may be flaoting by on its back in the current w/ no none the wiser and the locals knew/heard nothing of the crash. Crashed way offshore, no one heard/saw, and its just floating on by.

Hope it leads to some 'answers' to the big Q. W/ tech getting better and better, perhaps the wreckage (if they actually is any wreckage) will soon be found.

March 21st, 2012, 9:11 pm #8

OK, enough of Gillespie and his yet to produce ANY historic aircraft wreck anywhere TIGHAR money sucking group! Google the following site: electranewbritain.com and check it out. This Aussie
has more "real" evidence than all the other AE seekers have put together............
a

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

March 21st, 2012, 10:14 pm #9

maybe they were trying to land on the beach, no fuel, went in and flipped.

March 21st, 2012, 11:48 pm #10

they landed gear down on the beach at low tide... Being that they couldn't taxi the plane further up the beach, it sat there. Waiting for the tide to come and wash it away. You know the tide would toss that thing around and roll it over after a while..

I say that Robert Ballard will get out there with a rover and find the plane at some point on his own. He's got a pretty good record so far..

Cheers,
Dave