AMEGB #4 Short Stirling

AMEGB #4 Short Stirling

June 27th, 2012, 2:15 pm #1

I has taken me several weeks to finish my Stirling. It is strictly OOB. I built a little here and painted a little there. All paint is Xtracolor aand Humbrol, brush-painted freehand including the transparency frames. The wing-to-fuselage join was so good that I finished each wing and the fuselage as three separate sub-assemblies. When I glued the wings to the fuselage, it was finished. I have built a Halifax, Wellington, Lancaster, and a Whitley in the same fashion. It greatly simplifies painting and decalling.

On the bench: Airfix 1/76 LCM & Sherman, Airfix S.A. Bulldog, Roden Fokker D.VI, Heller SAAB Safir, & Lindberg Ar.234 and Kingfisher. (It is great to be retired.)

amateur photo shot with my i-Phone.

Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on June 27th, 2012, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 3:28 pm #2

Great to see the old Airfix Stirling built up. It's still not a bad kit is it? Sharp looking build you've done there...only one gripe...can we have some more photos please??

Regards;
Steve

June 27th, 2012, 5:35 pm #3

I has taken me several weeks to finish my Stirling. It is strictly OOB. I built a little here and painted a little there. All paint is Xtracolor aand Humbrol, brush-painted freehand including the transparency frames. The wing-to-fuselage join was so good that I finished each wing and the fuselage as three separate sub-assemblies. When I glued the wings to the fuselage, it was finished. I have built a Halifax, Wellington, Lancaster, and a Whitley in the same fashion. It greatly simplifies painting and decalling.

On the bench: Airfix 1/76 LCM & Sherman, Airfix S.A. Bulldog, Roden Fokker D.VI, Heller SAAB Safir, & Lindberg Ar.234 and Kingfisher. (It is great to be retired.)

Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
An airplane that always attracted me. Very cool model.
Greetings,
Daniele

June 27th, 2012, 8:46 pm #4

Adios, Larry.

Hey Larry, spiffy looking Stirling - always liked the big, chunky look of this aircraft. Sounds like you've got all the British heavies from WW2 lined up on the tarnac. Good show - I haven't started my Force yet!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3; Postwar RCAF Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish

June 27th, 2012, 10:25 pm #5

Adios, Larry.

A very nice Stirling you have there . nt

June 27th, 2012, 10:48 pm #6

Adios, Larry.

That is one nice looking Stirling. I have one in the stash and it's itching to come out of the box!

Great finish.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

June 28th, 2012, 11:48 am #7

Adios, Larry.

and would deserve a full photografic coverage...
Cheers
Luigi

June 28th, 2012, 12:26 pm #8

Adios, Larry.

nt

June 28th, 2012, 9:27 pm #9

Adios, Larry.

"How often do you guys go on a bender ?
This isn't a bender, this is night time!"

Air America

June 28th, 2012, 10:07 pm #10

Adios, Larry.

...remember building this when I was about seven, bought with my saved up christmas money in the January sales in 1976. One of my favourite kits ever, and probably the first one I ever attempted properly with my nan having generously acquired a copy of the 1971 airfix magazine annual to keep me busy in the run up to christmas. I remember my mum being slightly concerned I had stolen all her nail files and my dad being worried that I had managed to unscrew the stanley knife and nick the blades out of the handle.....

However, I think that you have definately done a much better job of the build than me. Lovely looking build, there really is something quite elegant about the Stirling, I think it's the shape of the canopy and the bulged sides around the front end.

If you get the cahnce mate, could we have a detail shot of the undercarriage - that is always something that amazes me. Obviously with fond memories of this heavy, I have acquired one for a build someday, when I have had a bit more practice and can have a proper go at it. However, even now I'm struggling to see how it all fits together, so if you could do the honours and point me in the right direction, that would be very much appreciated.

Fantastic work, as usual. Thanks for bringing back some very happy memories for me. Retirement sounds good...pity I have to wait so long....

Cheers,

Eddie