Am I nuts? Is it buildable?

Am I nuts? Is it buildable?

May 12th, 2012, 7:39 am #1

OK, I have bitten the bullet and bought a Mach 2 model of an Amiot 351/354.
Yes, the clear parts aren't quite clear, and quite thick. Yes, it is a bit flashy. Yes, the engines are poor. Dunno about the fit (not yet).
George, out..............
Last edited by RGeorgeO on May 12th, 2012, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 8:27 am #2

I just bought a Mach II AJ2 Savage. Considering what I paid for it, it will get built. I built their XFY-1 Sea Dart and it but up very nicely. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on May 12th, 2012, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 9:10 am #3

Yes, the clear parts aren't quite clear, and quite thick. Yes, it is a bit flashy. Yes, the engines are poor. Dunno about the fit (not yet).
I just checked mine - and it looks like a reasonable decent kit in the box

It certainly has more interior (cockpit and wheelbays) detail then several Airfix kits I've build

It will need filler and even some plastic surgery here and there (I see some short shot areas on my horizontal stabs) - but it can be done

I hope you will build it soon and really go to town on it - maybe then Azur will finally release theirs, it's on their release list since last year and I expect them someday to get to it)

Enjoy it - and you will have a pretty sleek and unique piece in the collection !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /end (incl. Model Force 2012 show report)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 12th, 2012, 9:18 am #4

I just bought a Mach II AJ2 Savage. Considering what I paid for it, it will get built. I built their XFY-1 Sea Dart and it but up very nicely. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
I don't know why I let this kit pass me by when it was released, maybe I will get one over time - though it's one of the earlier Mach 2 kits so it is not as "good" as their later offerings I think but in the meantime I can hope someone else will release one but this is very unlikely

I still have some other Mach 2 kits in the stash, all interesting subjects, and I plan to try my teeth on one of them later this year, maybe after summer, it can be a nice winter project...

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /end (incl. Model Force 2012 show report)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 12th, 2012, 12:27 pm #5

Sadly its one of the older Mach 2 kits, not that newer ones are substantially better. Things I found in most of the Mach 2 stuff I have worked on include panel lines that don't match up, parts being asymmetrical (left fuse half fatter than the right, or one wing a different shape, etc.) and then things not lining up like one wing being higher or one tail plane being at a different angle.

May 12th, 2012, 12:55 pm #6

I found it to be one of Didier's better efforts. It's as you describe it, but no worse. I built the twin-tail variant and was satisfied enough with the experience and the result that I plan to do the single-fin version sometime.

Of course, if your example was made after the molds were even more clapped out, your mileage may differ

May 12th, 2012, 1:55 pm #7

if you really like to have one, go and build it!
If there is a kit for it, so much the better, even if if it is made by a manufacturer like Mach

Just try to imagine what you would have to do to get one if there would be no available kit at all!

And just in case you think Mach 2 is bad, have you ever tried your hands on something from Unicraft or maybe an old Rareplane vacu kit, no?, believe me, compared to them Mach 2 is High-Tech!

Scratch build is fun.........
keep on having fun....

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz

May 12th, 2012, 3:11 pm #8

I've only ever finished the X-24A kit and that was like a reminder of the Roden He-111B kit. Both qualify as coming from their makers as long as 40% of the parts are from the box. The Mach 2 had the canopy and body. Well most of the body that remained after I filled, sanded, ground down and otherwise modified it to look like an X-24. The under carriage, gear doors, tires, engines, interior, winglets, and basically everything else came from the parts box or was scratch built. As normal with short run kits, some are good, some are bad. Most fall into the "it's the only game in town" and it's either start with a Mach 2 kit or scratch build it yourself. I don't think Mach 2 will ever produce an "open the box, assemble the parts, have a plane" kit. They are a right of passage for most of us. You have to try at least one.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

May 12th, 2012, 3:16 pm #9

From the context of this thread I don't need to say anything more. Adios, Larry.

May 12th, 2012, 3:49 pm #10

I picked up this DO-26 kit for 44 bucks at my LHS.My main problem is the horrendous instructions.Vac-form kits have better directions than that! [/IMG]