All for Naught, pt. 5

All for Naught, pt. 5

July 21st, 2012, 4:20 am #1

Progress has been slow on the Zero, in large part due to my own mess-ups. The scheme I'm doing has an orange undersides with a wavy demarcation. The first time I painted it the results were not good--I wanted the wavy demarcation "soft" but it ended up too fuzzy. So I sanded it back, re-primed and did it again. The second time was quite a bit better:

Unfortunately, in unmasking I pulled up some orange paint on the bottom of the wing, so this is now masked off to be repainted:

Also time consuming is the fact that the Gunze Sangyo "Orange-Yellow" paint, while being (I think) a good color, is also rather translucent, and absolutely requires a while undercoat.

I've also got the white circles ready on the bottom of the wing to create a white outline for the hinomarus, which is missing on the decals:

I'm afraid that work on this will end at this point for a while; tomorrow I leave for two weeks away at a conference. I had hoped to finish this before leaving, but my paint bungling has dictated otherwise.

In any case, I still hail this as a wonderful kit that is lots of fun. I'd like to do a bunch more in different markings.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Last edited by StuartMilliken on July 21st, 2012, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 21st, 2012, 11:40 am #2

I hope your conference is by a good hobby shop!

Greg in OK

July 21st, 2012, 12:51 pm #3

The meeting is in Kunming. The one hobby shop I knew of there closed the last time I was there--got some nice kits at a clearance sale price. There may be other hobby shops in Kunming, but I haven't discovered them on the Internet yet. But no matter--I still have a nice Airfix P-40 to build

Stuart

July 21st, 2012, 9:20 pm #4

Progress has been slow on the Zero, in large part due to my own mess-ups. The scheme I'm doing has an orange undersides with a wavy demarcation. The first time I painted it the results were not good--I wanted the wavy demarcation "soft" but it ended up too fuzzy. So I sanded it back, re-primed and did it again. The second time was quite a bit better:

Unfortunately, in unmasking I pulled up some orange paint on the bottom of the wing, so this is now masked off to be repainted:

Also time consuming is the fact that the Gunze Sangyo "Orange-Yellow" paint, while being (I think) a good color, is also rather translucent, and absolutely requires a while undercoat.

I've also got the white circles ready on the bottom of the wing to create a white outline for the hinomarus, which is missing on the decals:

I'm afraid that work on this will end at this point for a while; tomorrow I leave for two weeks away at a conference. I had hoped to finish this before leaving, but my paint bungling has dictated otherwise.

In any case, I still hail this as a wonderful kit that is lots of fun. I'd like to do a bunch more in different markings.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
For finaly continuing with my Rufe today, after several months...

Your canopy frames look darn good, tiny and sharp - the way I would like to see them on my Rufe, so I prayed Eduard would release some masks... and hey whaddayknow !

Nice paint work - I like the orange though I did mine with grey undersides as per instructions (according internet sources this aircraft was painted later in regular operational colours, so I like to think both colour options are correct)

Have fun in Kunming

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on July 21st, 2012, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 22nd, 2012, 1:22 am #5

Interesting discussion, though I doubt we'll ever know the full story about the colors of this aircraft. My own amateur analysis is that if the aircraft number is painted on the underside of the wing (as per practice for trainers), then orange makes more sense. Were it re-camouflaged with gray, then it would make no sense for them to paint carefully around the numbers rather than painting over them. And in any case, the orange looks cool and different, and I have a whole bottle of Gunze Sangyo orange-yellow to use up!

I look forward to seeing your Rufe! (Purple?)

Stuart

July 24th, 2012, 12:17 am #6

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish