Progress has been slow on the Zero, in large part due to my own mess-ups. The scheme I'm doing has an orange undersides with a wavy demarcation. The first time I painted it the results were not good--I wanted the wavy demarcation "soft" but it ended up too fuzzy. So I sanded it back, re-primed and did it again. The second time was quite a bit better:
Unfortunately, in unmasking I pulled up some orange paint on the bottom of the wing, so this is now masked off to be repainted:
Also time consuming is the fact that the Gunze Sangyo "Orange-Yellow" paint, while being (I think) a good color, is also rather translucent, and absolutely requires a while undercoat.
I've also got the white circles ready on the bottom of the wing to create a white outline for the hinomarus, which is missing on the decals:
I'm afraid that work on this will end at this point for a while; tomorrow I leave for two weeks away at a conference. I had hoped to finish this before leaving, but my paint bungling has dictated otherwise.
In any case, I still hail this as a wonderful kit that is lots of fun. I'd like to do a bunch more in different markings.
Thanks for looking!
I hope your conference is by a good hobby shop!
Greg in OK