All for Naught, pt. 1

All for Naught, pt. 1

July 1st, 2012, 1:31 pm #1

'Naught' as in 'Zero', that is. I decided to start in on the nice new Zero Greg sent me. (Sorry, Graham, I'll get to the Curtiss soon, but I find myself in a Japanese mood just now.) And just let me say: this is a nice kit. Panel lines are reasonable, well-detailed cockpit, beautiful engine, thin clear canopy--pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon basically just washing everything in detergent, clipping the parts off the sprues and cleaning up the attachment points. A pleasure to do with such nicely molded parts. Here's the bunch:

I'm doing this one pretty much out of box, but am making minor improvements such as drilling out the seat holes (which come as mere dimples):

I'll also make some basic seat belts.

There have only been a few minor problems. It turns out one of the prop blades got bent in shipping and the delicate control stick was broken, but I was able to unbend the blade and glue the stick pieces back together (thanks to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement). So that was a happy outcome. More unfortunate is that the canopy has some black flecks of something molded in the plastic:

Never had that problem before; I'm simply going to ignore it. Probably just some Wasabi or something that the pilot got on the windshield.

Not much to see so far, but I think this one should go fast--no fussing with rivets, no correcting shapes, no scratch building, just paint, glue and decal--Yippee!

Stuart

July 1st, 2012, 6:52 pm #2

Their customer service is top rate and they'll send you a replacement canopy.

July 1st, 2012, 10:38 pm #3

'Naught' as in 'Zero', that is. I decided to start in on the nice new Zero Greg sent me. (Sorry, Graham, I'll get to the Curtiss soon, but I find myself in a Japanese mood just now.) And just let me say: this is a nice kit. Panel lines are reasonable, well-detailed cockpit, beautiful engine, thin clear canopy--pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon basically just washing everything in detergent, clipping the parts off the sprues and cleaning up the attachment points. A pleasure to do with such nicely molded parts. Here's the bunch:

I'm doing this one pretty much out of box, but am making minor improvements such as drilling out the seat holes (which come as mere dimples):

There have only been a few minor problems. It turns out one of the prop blades got bent in shipping and the delicate control stick was broken, but I was able to unbend the blade and glue the stick pieces back together (thanks to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement). So that was a happy outcome. More unfortunate is that the canopy has some black flecks of something molded in the plastic:

Never had that problem before; I'm simply going to ignore it. Probably just some Wasabi or something that the pilot got on the windshield.

Not much to see so far, but I think this one should go fast--no fussing with rivets, no correcting shapes, no scratch building, just paint, glue and decal--Yippee!

Stuart
Stuart, you can always pretend he ran into a flock of 1/72 crows!! n/t

July 2nd, 2012, 12:10 am #4

Stuart
At first I thought it was on the outside, but on closer inspection it is IN the plastic. I desided to ignore it figuring it was a one-off but now I am concerned about the quality of Airfix clear parts.

I have a alternate canopy if you need it.

Greg

July 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm #5

I'm enjoying the kit regardless, and it isn't as though I'm going to the Nationals with it.

Now what I should do is try smash molding a new one, but the framing on the original is really nice, and I'm sure I'd lose that in a copy.

Stuart