AJ Savage update

AJ Savage update

June 15th, 2012, 10:03 pm #1

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.
Things here seems to be stabilizing. We still shake from time to time, especially a few km northwards, but the seismic swarm looks to have finally entered the dampening phase. Still early, anyway, to re-start those many work activities inside the "red line" because relevant reply quakes (about or over 4.0 magnitude) are possible.

In the meantime, I made some small progress on the AJ. First, some work into the cockpit, almost ready to be closed:

May be the last chances to look what's inside:

Then I committed myself to the worrying vacuform canopy. I (breath held) carefully cut it from the sheet with scissors, then refined it on the usual flat sandapaper. A few adjustments and I made a final dry test:

With a little bit of pressure, it fits nicely - much better, indeed, than many mainstream injection molded kits. This kit has surprises.

A dip in good-old-Future (I still have 1 + 1/2 bottles of the original brand) takes care of some scratches and delivers the usual magic:

Vèmo sl'è bél ("look how nice it is", for non-emilian speaking people): crystal clear!

Then, today a decision. Something does not yet fully satisfied my mental image of the AJ Savage. It's a large Navy aircraft, one that has spent most of it's service life over the aircraft carriers decks. It should have smelt of hot metal, spilled fuel and salt water. So what creates a more "NAVY" mood than...

FOLDED WINGS!
It's an already long trip, let's make a few steps further.

Greetings from Modena, Emilia, Italy.
Andrea

June 15th, 2012, 10:20 pm #2

And all that while your modeling table is moving around! Great job. Folded wings will look great.

Cheers.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

Andrea Lugli
Andrea Lugli

June 15th, 2012, 10:55 pm #3

my table shaked seriously "only" 6 times in the last 20 days, less wildly many more times. But many colleagues still feel a non existent shake from time to time.
Thank you.

June 16th, 2012, 6:41 am #4

We have them here all the time in California, they can put you on edge for a long time. Your model is looking great and am happy that you and your family is well after the earthquakes. They are not fun.

Geoff

June 16th, 2012, 12:14 pm #5

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.
Things here seems to be stabilizing. We still shake from time to time, especially a few km northwards, but the seismic swarm looks to have finally entered the dampening phase. Still early, anyway, to re-start those many work activities inside the "red line" because relevant reply quakes (about or over 4.0 magnitude) are possible.

In the meantime, I made some small progress on the AJ. First, some work into the cockpit, almost ready to be closed:

Then I committed myself to the worrying vacuform canopy. I (breath held) carefully cut it from the sheet with scissors, then refined it on the usual flat sandapaper. A few adjustments and I made a final dry test:

With a little bit of pressure, it fits nicely - much better, indeed, than many mainstream injection molded kits. This kit has surprises.

A dip in good-old-Future (I still have 1 + 1/2 bottles of the original brand) takes care of some scratches and delivers the usual magic:

Vèmo sl'è bél ("look how nice it is", for non-emilian speaking people): crystal clear!

Then, today a decision. Something does not yet fully satisfied my mental image of the AJ Savage. It's a large Navy aircraft, one that has spent most of it's service life over the aircraft carriers decks. It should have smelt of hot metal, spilled fuel and salt water. So what creates a more "NAVY" mood than...

FOLDED WINGS!

Andrea
Cheers, Moggy (IPMS Gothenburg, SWEDEN)

Almost finished: Canadair Mk.4 112 Sqn. RAF, Mirage IIIEA I-016 FAA
WIP: AMEGB KB-29M USAF in Korea, Bristol Freighter Mk.1 FAA, Gloster Meteor Mk.4 C-019 FAA, Spitfire mk.22 Egypt
Waiting for parts: DC-2 SCW, An-74 IRGC Iran
P2V-7 Neptune Argentine Naval Aviation, Hasegawa F-86D Danish Air Force bare metal finish, AX DH Vampire T.11 Chilean Air Force, Italeri Alenia G.222 AE-260 CAE,

June 16th, 2012, 6:48 pm #6

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.

FOLDED WINGS!

Andrea
Great model done in very precarious conditions !!!! so double value for what you achieved !!!!

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

June 16th, 2012, 11:35 pm #7

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.

FOLDED WINGS!

Andrea
In a park in Long Beach California they have one of these stuck on a pole about 20 feet in the air. Almost had a car wreck the first time I passed it. It is very common to feel the (ghost) quakes after a major event. I was reading there were some losses of some very important historical sites.

I have been through the big ones in California and Nevada, not fun.

But the important thing is that the canopy looks great!!!

California Steve

June 18th, 2012, 4:07 pm #8

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.

FOLDED WINGS!

Andrea
This was such an odd airplane; I remember a lot of publicity about it when I was young. Great to see a model of it.

Glad to hear things are getting better for you and your neighbors.

June 18th, 2012, 7:15 pm #9

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.

FOLDED WINGS!

Andrea
And you are doing very great work on this model, that interior looks top notch, and I like it how that canopy fits.. indeed a great surprise !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 18th, 2012, 8:55 pm #10

Hello Hyperscalers,

thanks for the support.

FOLDED WINGS!

Andrea
and is getting into shape nicely. I am afraid it will require time to complete but I am sure will stand proudly in any collection of US naval aircrafts.

Ciao
Luigi